PDA

View Full Version : H2O Filter

ADKMAPLE
05-21-2010, 05:30 AM
I have a house H2O filter. IT is a fine filter that is plummed directly into my well system. Bascially like a Culligan in line filter. HAs a cartridge. Does anyone use this for syrup filtering? I guess it would need to be under pressure or vac...

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-21-2010, 05:54 AM
It would probably work for sap but I doubt you could get syrup through it. These style filters are basically what the pre filters are on RO's.

DrTimPerkins
05-21-2010, 06:10 AM
I have a house H2O filter. IT is a fine filter that is plummed directly into my well system. Bascially like a Culligan in line filter. HAs a cartridge. Does anyone use this for syrup filtering? I guess it would need to be under pressure or vac...

Doubtful it could deal with hot syrup.

Haynes Forest Products
05-21-2010, 08:39 AM
They dont take HIGH pressure very well. As far as sap they work fine until they start to turn brown to black YUCK and then there like a reverse UV lite they sit and ADD Bacteria:mad:

adk1
05-21-2010, 09:04 AM
I was really talking for jsut the raw sap, from the tank, to the filter then to the evap. that would give me some gravity to force it through the filter..or is this overkill???

3rdgen.maple
05-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Tried it and I found unless you change it quite often it will get real smelly and give your syrup a nasty flavor. It can get costly as well. I ditched that setup the first season and went with the sack filter. I have 2 one is at the tank where the sap comes out the pipe to fill it while the other is being cleaned. I like the results and you just keep cleaning them rather than throwing them out and replacing. However I personally replace all my filters every year, sap, prefilters and syrup filters. The cost of them is cheap in comparison to contaminating my syrup. But that is just me cause there are people on here that do use a water filter for sap and ones that reuse filters for years.

TF Maple
05-21-2010, 09:31 AM
How well it will work depends on a number of things. How clean your sap is going in? With bags like you are planning to use, the sap should be fairly clean so the filter won't clog up too fast. When the filter gets a little dirty it will slow the sap flow.
Next, how fast will it flow through the filter when it is clean? When you come with a 55 gallon barrel of sap to filter, it gets old fast if the filtering takes very long. And in a maple season where you are filtering 1000 gallons or more, this is not a place you want a bottleneck slowing things down.

How easy is it to change a filter and how expensive are they? I don't need an answer to this question, just something you should consider.

I still have the old strainer we used to run the last milk drained from the receiver jar through. It uses 6 1/2 inch non gauze filter pads which only cost a few pennies each. Sap runs through real fast until it gets dirty and I change it.

adk1
05-21-2010, 11:37 AM
yeah, based upon these comments it doesnt sound as though it would be a good idea, or at least wouldnt justify the expense

Haynes Forest Products
05-21-2010, 07:37 PM
I quit doing it ans that was after I thought the charcoal filters would be nice:mad: I think the best thing is a honey filter and then cook ASAP

220 maple
05-24-2010, 06:04 AM
Sap filtering
On the vacuum pump at the Sugar Shak we have a dairy releaser, all stainless that has paper filters apparently used for filtering milk before storage? , we change filters as needed during the Maple season. All our sap goes thru that filter before it gets to the storage tank that feeds the evaporator. We filter the hot syrup after it comes out of the auto-draw off, then we run the finished syrup thru our filter press. We always tell any potential customer that are syrup is filtered three times before it is put in any jug. That helps to sell are product.

Mark 220 Maple

cncaboose
05-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Don't give up on the filter idea yet. We use one in the line going to our 65 gallon feed tank from the bulktank storage. We do filter our sap previously with a 100 micron drum filter (used in the biodiesel industry) going into the bulktank, then run a 5 or 10 micron inline water filter the feedtank. The submersible pump we use to fill the feedtank pumps the sap thru the water filter just fine. We have to change filters every couple of days, depending on sap volume. Overall we like it a lot and it gives us really clean sap going into the evaporator.

adk1
05-24-2010, 08:44 AM
that is interesting. the filters that I use for my house water are down to 1 micron maybe? ITs extra fine. I change it once a month. IF ai got a 5 micron filter I might have to cahnge it twice. I can get an ACE two pack for $8 I beleive

Don't give up on the filter idea yet. We use one in the line going to our 65 gallon feed tank from the bulktank storage. We do filter our sap previously with a 100 micron drum filter (used in the biodiesel industry) going into the bulktank, then run a 5 or 10 micron inline water filter the feedtank. The submersible pump we use to fill the feedtank pumps the sap thru the water filter just fine. We have to change filters every couple of days, depending on sap volume. Overall we like it a lot and it gives us really clean sap going into the evaporator.

Haynes Forest Products
05-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Its not so much getting the sap thru the filter that the problem its what happens to the filter from the bacteria. My filters turned black withing 4 days and stop filtering. No matter how much you filter your sap the flue pan still gets build up in it.

maple flats
05-24-2010, 06:40 PM
ADK1, that is what I do. From my feed tank, thru a 4" x 10" whole house filter, and then to the evaporator. I've never had one plug up yet. I'll check to see what micron I used. I went thru 2 cartridges this year, 3 last with a longer season. Each day I open the filter and look at it, if it looks ok I use it. My thought putting it there is if any bacteria starts to gro it is boiling in a minute or 2 and little if any harm done. This year I didn't need to change it until we had a couple of 75-80 degree days. With that it started to look funky and I washed the housing and changed the filter. When it tays cold I didn't have to change until about 25-30 days in, then if it keeps going I might need to change in 3-5 days as the season gets later.
The filter does keep the incoming sap clear and if nothing else it looks better with visitors. I think it also helps slightly reduce some skimming.

ADKMAPLE
05-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Interesting. Well, for the amount of sap I will be filtering it shouldnt be that much of a problem. I just changed my house filter, it is an Ultra Fine 1 micron filter. Like I said, I change it once a month. Some months it is dirtier/browner than others, but since this is basically spring water its pretty clean, jsut get some sediment from time to time.

3rdgen.maple
05-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Not sure how you can even get more than a few days at best out of your filter. If sap spoils relatively fast it looks and smells bad. So exacally how does a filter full of junk and bacteria not contaminate your fresh sap without giving it an off flavor or smell. Also you have to take into consideration that even the slightest off flavor or smell in sap will end up being worse in the end product. Like I said before I went through this problem once and my syrup I made during that time just did not taste or smell as good as before and after I used that filter setup. Once I ditched it things got back to being good again. Sap spoils and not changing the filter every couple days is going to effect your end product. If you have always used that type setup you may not even know. Now if your first batch of the season with a new filter taste the same as a batch you boiled after a long time without changing that filter then you are doing something I didn't. I will never ever go back to that setup.

Haynes Forest Products
05-25-2010, 12:36 AM
My filter housing was mounted on the inside of the shack so it didnt freeze and if I didnt cook for a day or two it stayed warm and the sap went BBBAAADDD yea I know I should have cleaned it out but When things are hitting the fan:emb:

maple flats
05-25-2010, 04:46 AM
my filter is inside the sugarhouse and gets drained every time I finish boiling so it won't freeze. I only rarely rinse the element. It has not gotten bad smelling but it must be adding some bacteria from setting idle for a while if I don't boil every day. I always boil everything the same day as much as possible. The only exception is if I don't collect enough to fire it up.

adk1
05-25-2010, 11:47 AM
I guess its a toss up then, if I want to buy $40 worth of filter cartridges then I will run it and change out each time I filter.

maple flats
05-25-2010, 11:59 AM
I really don't see the need to change every run but if you want so be it. I did not see any drop in grade or flavor (and most importantly neither did my customers) when I started using the filter. I ran thru the 08 season without and the last 2 years with. Saw clearer sap in the inlet but no difference in finished product taste or quality. In fact, I have several customers who drive long distances to buy mine even thou there are other decent sugarhouses closer to them. They like my product.

maple flats
05-25-2010, 12:02 PM
On the other hand, I am also a dealer and might be able to get you a better price if you buy case lots even with shipping. Just give me a micron number, I'll get you a current case lot price. If interested email me, dklish@earthlink.net

Woodland Acres
05-30-2010, 07:31 PM
They suck if you are using buckets. To much bark , moths , flies and whatever else can go in a bucket will plug these filters fast. Just remember if you run low on sap and burn a pan if one plugs up. Go to the sack filter and you wont have the cost of replacing cartridge after cartridge .

3rdgen.maple
05-30-2010, 10:22 PM
I agree Woodland I agree.

ADKMAPLE
05-31-2010, 07:23 AM
Oh I definatly plan on using a sap filter. I will also, my first couple of seasons, be using all sap sacks