PDA

View Full Version : stack question

jasonl6
05-20-2010, 05:03 PM
I posted this on maplechatter too but know it will see more traffic here. I'll give you some history first. My current evapoartor is a 3x4 someone cut down from a 3x8. I now have the rear pan (drop flue) so my evaporator will be once again whole. Since we bought the evapoartor in the middle of the season we used the stack someone had put on it. They covered the opening with tin then stuck a 6" pipe in the middle of the cover.

So now i have a 3X8 and am thinking about my stack options. Looking at Leaders site i have seen that my 3' king arch can use either a 12" or 14" stack. I do not have a base stack currently but have a local shop that will make one for me.

Yesterday i was at an auction and picked up about 30' of 8" black stove pipe. Is it possible to run two sections of black pipe off my collector instead of owe 12" pipe?

I found a site that does calculations on volume.

http://www.mathopenref.com/cylindervolume.html

Two 8" pieces 1" tall = 404cf, while one 12" piece 1" tall = 452cf. Another thing is i'm not sure if the draw will be consistant. I havn't seen this done before but at the price i got the pipe i couldn't pass it up.

Thanks
Jason

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Jason,

I have info for an Amish guy in southern PA that just made a complete 10" stack 12' with basestack all stainless for a friend of mine that is a trader member close to me for around $ 200 for a Waterloo evaporator. You need at least 10" but more like 12" for proper draft. Doubt if 8" will cut it.

If you want the info for the Amish guy, send me a PM. He mades, hoods, finishing pans, steam stacks, roof jacks, etc, all in stainless.

jasonl6
05-20-2010, 08:34 PM
I will pm you for that info. But my question is if i can run two 8" stacks.

As in have my base stack come up and have two 8" stack running parallel each other.

jason

brookledge
05-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Jason
I remember along time ago seeing a large evaporator that had duel stacks. I see no problem with it except in the manufactuering process by the time you make a cast iron plate for the arch and then have 2 roof jacks along with all the stack needed for both stacks it will end up costing more than one large stack.
But in your case if you have what is needed I don't see a problem if you have done your math on the amount of area in the 2 stacks to make sure it is enough
Keith

maple flats
05-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Never seen it done and think you'll be better with 12" from the start. Not saying it won't work but I doubt it would be as good. My 3x8 came with a 12" stack. Be sure to run the stack at least 16" high ( evaqporator length x 2).

jimsudz
05-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Jason Go to conewango N Y look for Eli Hershberger he's on seager hill rd. He goes by Hillside Stainless Shop 11562 Seager Hill Rd. Conewango Valley NY 14726. I had a 12"x 16' ss stack with 6"x24" base made for $178 .

jasonl6
05-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Hey thanks for the info. he is within an hour drive of me :-). Looks like i'll be making a trip.

jason

Flat47
05-24-2010, 05:37 AM
In the '80s Small Brothers had dual stacks as an option. Thier catalogs showed rigs with dual stacks for many years. I always thought they looked kinda cool. But thinking about it now, you'd have to get 2 roof jacks, 2 stack caps...2 of everything, just a bit smaller diameter than one single stack.

concord maple
05-24-2010, 07:35 AM
Jason, I had Eli Hersherberger make me a ss roof jack last year for $30.00. I got his name from a local maple equipment dealer so that is why I went there.