PDA

View Full Version : Layered syrup

220 maple
05-18-2010, 11:24 PM
This issue has never been discussed on here that I can remember, therefore I better explain what I mean by layered syrup. For the past several season, actually since 2003 or 04 my syrup has layered. I pull samples bottles from each finished batch. Usually bottles the size of the test bottles in the Vermont testing kit. After a period of time they start changing color at the top of the bottle and continue until they change the whole bottle. The first time it happen I asked some olde timers if they had any idea what was causing my syrup to change color after it is finished. I never recieved a good answer or suggestion from anyone. Most had never seen syrup do that and was at a loss for words. Then a couple season later I seen syrup that was bottle by one of the big producers and a rep. for Leader layering. So I did not feel so bad at that point. I attended a seminar several years back an I got a chance to ask Bruce from Leader about my syrup layering. He knew of it happening to others and said that it not only layers in glass which is visible, it layers in barrels also and will change the whole barrel over a period of time. He did not know at that time why it did it or how. An said know one else had and explanation either. I have some thoughts of why it happens, 1st I tap several red maples, a possible culprit, 2nd I had never cleaned the caked on soot from the underneath of the flue pan, another possibilty. Before this season I pulled the evaporator apart and scrubbed the soot clean and this season I did not tap many red maples, maybe 10 taps total out of 864.
My syrup has not layered this season. The only other factor different was all the pipeline, tubing, spiles was brand new this season. I did not tap my trees only the trees I leased which was first time water producers. Anyone else ever experence Layered Syrup? I have seen it at Southern Most Maple and Henry Brennemans. Henry had some sample bottles that had layered this year.

Mark 220 Maple

Brian Ryther
05-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Great question. I have sample bottles for some of my barrels from when the were filled during the season. I noticed one of the sample bottles has begun to seperate into two different color layers. I am concerned about my barrels now. What is going on?

argohauler
05-19-2010, 06:48 AM
I've seen syrup that has separated when it was stored in gallon tins in the feezer. It was fine when it was reheated.

Is your syrup still good? Are those sample bottles sealing and or barrels?

802maple
05-19-2010, 06:52 AM
I don't have a answer as to why, but this not rare at all. Last year a lot of syrup layered this way and I dont think you can blame it on red maples as I never used to tap any reds and some years it effected me. I know that when I was buying especially in the fall I would get upset sugarmakers calling me when they discovered that it did not grade as expected. I would then invite them up to check it out and it had indeed darkened. Some packers experienced last year huge percentages doing this.

220 maple
05-19-2010, 08:26 AM
The syrup is fine, it changes grade Fancy to Medium, Medium to Dark,ect....
I sell a lot in glass and I hate it when it sets for long periods and starts to layer. Sometimes customers at Festival's buy small glass items like the 50ml leaf just to display on a window sill or a curio cabinet. I was hoping someone may have a cure for layering for that very reason. I sometimes have to explain that syrup will get darker over a period of time, even though I know it should stay the same.

Mark 220 Maple

red maples
05-19-2010, 09:07 AM
does it have anything to do with light exposure through the glass. you would never see it through a plastic jug? I have a few glass leaves I wanna go check them being that I tap mostly reds. and what would soot on the bottom side of the pan have to do with the syrup? except slow your rate of boil.

brookledge
05-19-2010, 07:40 PM
I have seen it and I don't feel it has anthing to do with the type of maples or anything to do with the evaporaton process. With my sample bottles as long as I flipped it over a few times to remix it, it graded just as it did when bottled. I always fill a sample bottle of each batch in kegs so I can look at it or taste it again before breaking the seal. I keep my sample bottles in the fridge so they get no sunlight.
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
05-19-2010, 10:33 PM
I have 3 small maple leafs that are light, mediam and dark and I have them setting on the window in full summer sun at a mile high and they havent changed in over 2 years.

Dave Y
05-20-2010, 05:02 AM
Typically light syrup will not darken. However dark syrup will keep getting darker.

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-20-2010, 05:14 AM
I wonder if light syrup made with a bubbler is more prone to darkening than that made without? It would seem that some of this syrup had a higher amount of glucose and fructose as opposed to fructose. I think (but am not sure) that glucose and fructose are more prone to darkening. Dr Perkins?

DrTimPerkins
05-20-2010, 06:37 AM
I wonder if light syrup made with a bubbler is more prone to darkening than that made without? It would seem that some of this syrup had a higher amount of glucose and fructose as opposed to fructose. I think (but am not sure) that glucose and fructose are more prone to darkening. Dr Perkins?

Some air injected (AI) syrup did have slightly higher levels of invert sugar.

Despite this, I don't believe that there was any evidence suggesting that AI syrup darkened in storage any faster than non-air-injection syrup.

DrTimPerkins
05-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Typically light syrup will not darken. However dark syrup will keep getting darker.

Darkening of syrup can happen to all syrup. It is primarily an oxidation process. This is why it happens more/faster in plastic and hardly at all in glass or metal containers....plastic allows some oxygen to permeate throught the jug. Not much, but over time it'll darken the syrup (and the pH will drop slightly).

Layering is much less well understood. When layering occurs, typically the top layer is darker than the bottom, the invert level in the top is slightly higher, the pH in the top is slightly lower, and the top layer is slightly less dense than the bottom layer (Morselli and Whalen 1989). The causes are not clearly known.

It's a tough one to study since you're never sure when it's going to happen.

802maple
05-20-2010, 07:46 AM
It does also happen in steel or Stainless steel drums. A packer I was talking to last week had 3 tractor trailer loads of last years syrup darken that they had to send to a packer that could use it and trade for lighter syrup. Its not a big deal if it happens as flavor is not hurt typically,

DrTimPerkins
05-20-2010, 05:21 PM
It does also happen in steel or Stainless steel drums. A packer I was talking to last week had 3 tractor trailer loads of last years syrup darken that they had to send to a packer that could use it and trade for lighter syrup. Its not a big deal if it happens as flavor is not hurt typically,

Sure....a couple of possible mechanisms going on there that can result in darkening. Darkening happens in syrup....it is the rate of darkening that varies.

220 maple
05-20-2010, 10:01 PM
This year none of my syrup layered, I'm thrilled because I had 165 gallons that looks great in glass. I have producers in my area that had never seen layered syrup, apparently a very small precentage of the syrup produced each year does layer. Sometimes I suspect that they may have had layered syrup but don't know because they jug 100 percent of their syrup, or they produce a very small amount and sale it before it has time to layer.

Mark 220 Maple

red maples
05-21-2010, 05:05 AM
our Ag inspector recommended that if you have a grade that is very close to being the next darker grade it is best to label it that darker next grade if it is going to be stored for any legth of time. unless you know your going to sell it right away.