PDA

View Full Version : Late season Reds?

Daren
03-30-2005, 01:14 PM
I tapped some reds this year and found that they have not hurt the syrup quality, but as the season progresses (maybe we are nearing the end.... :cry: ) I am afraid that once they get "buddy" they will mess up the flavor. The reds have the red buds all winter and spring, so I am not sure what to look for to tell me when to stop collecting from them. I would like to continue to collect from the sugar maples until they go away as well, but I hear that they can be collected longer than the reds. Does anyone have any tried and true ways to tell when to stop using the sap from the reds? I have had a very slow and limited run this year so far. My woods still have a fair amount of snow cover, but temps nearing 55 to 60 tomorrow and no night freezes until probably sunday or monday has me worried. I have 37 taps out this year and have only made 1.5 gallons. (hoping to make about a gallon tomorrow). I made 3 gallons last year on 8 taps....whats with that? :?

MaineMapleDave
03-30-2005, 03:07 PM
I tap mostly reds. The sap usually just shuts right down--I'll find little to no sap in the buckets and know that it's over. Another thing to look for:
Cloudy sap. It will look like the water after you boil pasta--kind of milky/starchy. Sometimes it also turns funky/yellowish/greenish/brownish colors.

If you can't tell, try tasting the sap. If it tastes like anything other than slightly sweet pure clear water, dump it.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-30-2005, 04:40 PM
You can also taste the sap and tell too usually. When it's over, you will know! :D

mapleman3
03-30-2005, 05:00 PM
also check the sugar % I find mine drops to 1% then I just use the sugars... no sense boiling 86 gallons to make 1 gallon.

sweetwoodmaple
03-30-2005, 06:34 PM
mapleman - I don't know...this year I'm pretty desperate for more syrup and have extra wood. I might take the 90:1 :wink:

VA maple guy
03-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Hi Daren, I'm down here in Virginia and I tap mostly reds. My trees do pretty much the same as MaineMapleDave's . I put in just over 100 taps this year and made only seven galllons. I had only to or three days of good sap flow. We had real weried weather this year.

Gerry

mapleman3
03-30-2005, 07:23 PM
if you have the time and wood, heck go till the leaves are in :D

tapper
03-30-2005, 07:38 PM
The first year I did this I tapped only reds and I made 8 gallons on 30 buckets. This year so far I have 12 gallons on 100 buckets mostly hard maples but the reds are running better that the sugars right now???????

dads hobby
03-30-2005, 10:06 PM
I tap mainly reds since i only have a few sugar maple and what i find is that most of them just stop flowing, those that dont have a dark yellow to brownish colord water and really doesn't taste very good.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-31-2005, 06:35 PM
To me it seems reds will usually stop flowing before a sugar will and will not put out as much sap over the course of a year. Either way, if you have mainly reds, tap them and do the best you can! They still make great syrup! :D

Dave Y
03-31-2005, 09:34 PM
I tap a mix of reds and surgars. the reds have all but quit.. out in the open. I have some that are in the pines and they started late and are still running. However the ones that quit the buds are very large. they look like they are ready to pop. But the won't Leaves dont pop here till may.

Daren
04-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Thanks to everyone that posted a reply. I did have some trees that just stopped and a couple that turned "pissy" as one local sugar maker put it. I collected for the last time this morning and got only 7 gallons of sap. I have to say I am pretty disappointed with the yield this year. I made 3 gallons on 8 taps last year and only made 3.5 gallons on 37 taps this year....looks like I need 100 next year. I hope the wife doesn't find out :wink: 8) .