PDA

View Full Version : Granary to Sugarhouse conversion

SilverLeaf
05-13-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm hankering for a sugarhouse now, in a big way. And I think I've found the perfect solution - we've got an old run-down granary on the farm that I've been wanting for awhile to restore to some sort of grandeur. (See picture below) But I never had a purpose for it. Well now I do - my new sugar shack!

Before I go down the road of really thinking about it and planning for it though, I'm wondering if I've got a couple show-stoppers:

1)Is the roof too high to reasonably expect the steam to be able to escape? It's about 20 ft high at the peak.

2) If it's not too high, what are reasonable options for getting the steam out? (without of course getting a hood for my pans - I've no interest in dropping the $$ for that right now):
You can see from the picture it's already got a mini-"cupola" (which is where the grain auger used to go), but that's not a realistic option - the opening is only about 2'x2'. I know I could build a bigger cupola, but for reasons of nostalgia I don't want to make any big architectural modifications to the building.
I know I could create a set of openings directly in the roof, but I'm not crazy about that either because I don't want to let in the rain!
I thought about creating a triangular opening at the peak of the outer wall, with a hinge on the bottom so it could be opened (and some sort of rope/pulley system to allow me to open/close it). I mocked-up a simplistic diagram below (the steam vent is in red). If I made the opening big enough, might this work?
Any other options or ideas that I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance! This site is always an invaluable resource.

3rdgen.maple
05-13-2010, 10:35 PM
That there building looks like the perfect place to stick that brand new 2x6. I say go for it. Me thinks if you make the coupla longer steam will not be a problem it will find its way out. If not I personally would deal with it till you came up with a hood system. The one thought that does come to mind is that is gonna be one long stack but that might be to your advantage as well. Throw a few windows in for natural light and go with it.

TF Maple
05-13-2010, 11:00 PM
I would try to hinge that opening from the top so the rain and snow don't come in when it is open. That is, if you need to add it at all. I too would try it like it is and see what happens first. You might not make that much steam in one day of boiling to fill up that big building if enough goes out the top.

driske
05-14-2010, 06:20 AM
Think further about using a hood. Maybe your HS shop class is equiped with a brake and looking for a project. Once or twice a year I snoop around our local scrap yard to see what they may have stockpiled ,that could be made to work in the sugar house. Know anyone that works in a metal fabricating company? Enlist their help. You don't have to drop the big bucks to come up with a workable hood and your building will thank you for it on those low draft days when everything choses to hang there.
The Sugar House retrofit will be fitting use of your noble old structure.

maplecrest
05-14-2010, 09:25 AM
go for the hoods with preheater and steam stacks they will pay for themselves in hot water

adk1
05-14-2010, 09:37 AM
See I ahve no interest in a hood. I love to watch the steam roll up through a sugarhouse and out the top of a coupola..that is one of my favorite sites to see

3rdgen.maple
05-14-2010, 09:41 AM
ADK1 I agree with you completely. There are somethings in life you just like to keep the old school way and that is one of them for sure. I also have said before and will say again a sugarhouse is not a sugarhouse without the coupla on the roof. Hood or no hood a coupla is the distiguishing factor between just a building and a sugarhouse.

SilverLeaf
05-14-2010, 11:00 AM
I have to admit, money isn't the only factor why I'm not crazy about a hood. I'm like 3rd Gen and adk1 with the "old school" preference. There's something unromantic to me about having to slide a little metal door in order to be able to take a peek in at the boil. And in contrast there's something mighty grand about seeing the full result of that boil drift up and out.

But then again, I'm sure I'd change my tune in a hurry if I was stuck all day in a perpetual sauna....! :lol:

adk1
05-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Look like that would make an ideal sugarhouse. You can just extend the length of that cupola each way to make it large enough. Is there a loft in there? andd a front porch area off the side with an entry door.

I'm hankering for a sugarhouse now, in a big way. And I think I've found the perfect solution - we've got an old run-down granary on the farm that I've been wanting for awhile to restore to some sort of grandeur. (See picture below) But I never had a purpose for it. Well now I do - my new sugar shack!

Before I go down the road of really thinking about it and planning for it though, I'm wondering if I've got a couple show-stoppers:

1)Is the roof too high to reasonably expect the steam to be able to escape? It's about 20 ft high at the peak.

2) If it's not too high, what are reasonable options for getting the steam out? (without of course getting a hood for my pans - I've no interest in dropping the $$ for that right now):
You can see from the picture it's already got a mini-"cupola" (which is where the grain auger used to go), but that's not a realistic option - the opening is only about 2'x2'. I know I could build a bigger cupola, but for reasons of nostalgia I don't want to make any big architectural modifications to the building.
I know I could create a set of openings directly in the roof, but I'm not crazy about that either because I don't want to let in the rain!
I thought about creating a triangular opening at the peak of the outer wall, with a hinge on the bottom so it could be opened (and some sort of rope/pulley system to allow me to open/close it). I mocked-up a simplistic diagram below (the steam vent is in red). If I made the opening big enough, might this work?
Any other options or ideas that I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance! This site is always an invaluable resource.

adk1
05-14-2010, 12:00 PM
This will be my sugar shack, I think. It is my existing garage, pic taken from my front porch. Sugarbush to the right of the garage on a hill.

SilverLeaf
05-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Is there a loft in there? andd a front porch area off the side with an entry door.

No loft right now - although I'd probably put one in at least on one side of the building. Right now all that's in there are walls that go all the way up to within about 5 ft of the top to create dividers. There's four compartments total - three for grain storage and one as sort of an "entryway". I'll have to remove those walls of course.

by the way adk1, you know you've been bitten by the maple bug when you're kicking your car out to the curb just so you can retrofit your garage into a sugarhouse! :lol:

adk1
05-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Yup, you got that right! Although, directly behind my garage is another storage "shed". pretty samll, I would guess 10x14 or so that was going to be my shack. still might be, needs some work though that is for sure. But when I told my wife of all people that that was gonna be it she said 'how are you gonna fit the family in there, why dont you just use 1/2 the garage"..I actualy hadent even thought of that before, even though it would take all the garage! still planning really

maple flats
05-14-2010, 07:52 PM
I think you will find the roof is too high unless you build a hood. If you like to watch it, make an oversized hood elevated above your head, not the best approach but it should help. A problem you will run ino with a very high roof is the steam condensing before it goes out the cupola, and it will rain in the sugarhouse.

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-14-2010, 08:08 PM
My roof is extremely high, 20 feet from floor to peak, I have no hood and absolutely no problem with steam. There may be some up in the rafters but none down in the working area.

Sugarmaker
05-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Go for it! watch the steam rise and make some syrup! Looks like a great start to a sugaring hobby.
Good luck,
Chris

maple flats
05-18-2010, 06:43 AM
My roof is only14' to the cupola and I had big steam problems on certain days when the air was heavy until I added the hood. I often had to open the 3' door on one end and the 6' double doors on the other to keep my head just barely below the clouds. If I was a little taller it would not have worked then. This was when I had a 2x6, I never ran the 3x8 without a hood over the rear pan and extending to all but 4" from the front of the front pan. The front is elevated about 14" to see in the syrup pan but the hood top is all one continouus length.

Ausable
05-18-2010, 06:58 AM
This will be my sugar shack, I think. It is my existing garage, pic taken from my front porch. Sugarbush to the right of the garage on a hill.

Hello again ADK1 -- Just looking at the picture of Your Sugar Shack - That building has never been a true garage - but - rather a Sugar Shack in waiting. Looks like it would be perfect for a Sugar Shack - even if you decide to go commercial some day... It just has the look. ----

SilverLeaf
05-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Just wanted to say "thanks" to all who commented here... I've definitely got a bit to think about, and it will probably come down to some experimenting as to how I eventually rig up the best way of removing steam. I don't want to extend the existing cupola because I want to keep true to its original architectural form, so I'll have to find some other way. If that ends up being a modified hood of some sort, so be it.

So trial and error it will be. But then again, isn't the phrase "trial and error" synonymous with the phrase "making maple syrup"?? :lol:

I'll probably spend a year or two figuring out the specifics of my remodel plans for the building before jumping into the work. But I'm totally jazzed to be undertaking a restore of this building - it served my dad well for many a year on the farm before finally becoming outdated....

Ausable
05-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Silverleaf -- Looking at the picture of Your building -- I think You might be ok as is. Looks like a metal roof - I'm assuming it is also metal inside with no insulation. Also - I see no evidence of soffets or fascia on the roof rafter ends - another good thing. You have a copula of sorts that steam will escape from - also - two openings on each end of the building - which will also allow some steam to escape. The open rafters will allow air flow in and moisture out - as much of the steam condensing on the metal roof will run down the inside of the roof and drip to the outside. The inside walls are so high - you won't have a problem walking around in steam - unless - You have several monster evaporators.... Think You will be fine as is -- Mike

SilverLeaf
05-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Looks like a metal roof - I'm assuming it is also metal inside with no insulation. . . much of the steam condensing on the metal roof will run down the inside of the roof and drip to the outside.
I like that idea a lot, actually, but unfortunately it's wood on the inside. :( The roof was originally a wood/shingle roof, and at some point instead of reshingling it, my dad just covered over the whole thing with a sheet of tin.

3rdgen.maple
05-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Thats okay to slver leaf from my understanding all those boards help stop it from raining in the sugarhouse. A year or two????? Quite slacking and get after it man!!!!!

SilverLeaf
05-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Quite slacking and get after it man!!!!!

:lol:

Actually, and I bet many of you can relate to this.... but since the wife has patiently indulged my new maple hobby over the past few years, the next couple years are my "payback" time to patiently indulge whatever new hobby she is fancying at the moment.

In this case it appears to be.... raising sheep. This summer we've got to fix up and convert the old cattle barn into a sheep barn!

Ausable
05-21-2010, 04:52 PM
:lol:

Actually, and I bet many of you can relate to this.... but since the wife has patiently indulged my new maple hobby over the past few years, the next couple years are my "payback" time to patiently indulge whatever new hobby she is fancying at the moment.

In this case it appears to be.... raising sheep. This summer we've got to fix up and convert the old cattle barn into a sheep barn!

I Hear You - My dear wife has several hobbies and one time I suggested foolishly - Why don't You get a new hobby? Teacher ----- You could teach others what you know and make money at the same time. Do not ever do this. I discovered the hard way - that what makes sense to us dumb guys does not make sense to those we married ----LOL ----hope she never reads this-----

3rdgen.maple
05-22-2010, 12:15 AM
SilverLeaf all you got to do is tell her you need that building fixed up so you can use it to shave down those sheep or whatever it is you do to them critters and at the last minute when its done stick the evaporator in there and tell her you change your mind. Heck the whole time your working on it you will make her happy then when its all done she will only be mad a day maybe two versus her being mad all year knowing it is actually for you lol. Oh and when she who must be obeyed tells me she has a new hobby that usually means I have a new honey do list and she watches while sipping coffee. They are smart ones for sure.

Ausable
05-22-2010, 08:38 AM
SilverLeaf all you got to do is tell her you need that building fixed up so you can use it to shave down those sheep or whatever it is you do to them critters and at the last minute when its done stick the evaporator in there and tell her you change your mind. Heck the whole time your working on it you will make her happy then when its all done she will only be mad a day maybe two versus her being mad all year knowing it is actually for you lol. Oh and when she who must be obeyed tells me she has a new hobby that usually means I have a new honey do list and she watches while sipping coffee. They are smart ones for sure.

When I was a kid - My Dad would share his wisdom with me - if I liked it or not. One I remember was "Son - The American Indian had the highest form of civilazation that ever existed" and I would ask "Why is that Pa?" and the reply was "Cause the Women did all the work" and I would foolishly ask "Then why did we call them savages?" and the reply would be "WE didn't - Our women did - cause the American Indian way of life scared the heck out of them for fear it would catch on and they couldn't allow that". -----The old man was wise enough not to share that kind of knowledge around Ma - thats how he got to be the old man----------

SilverLeaf
05-22-2010, 07:22 PM
SilverLeaf all you got to do is tell her you need that building fixed up so you can use it to shave down those sheep or whatever it is you do to them critters and at the last minute when its done stick the evaporator in there and tell her you change your mind.
Careful, now... if she catches me reading "advice" like that on MapleTrader, she'll be sure to forbid me from associating with you fellows ever again!!! ;)

driske
05-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Sheep,
Himmel Hoch,:o
If it must be sheep ,steer her in the direction of hair sheep. Shearing is man killing work. If she says she wants the wool for spinning, buy some wool. It's cheaper than a lifetime of chiropractic visits.
My mid-life crisis involved a flock of sheep. She who must be obeyed stated that" either the sheep left or she would leave."
They were on their way to So. Saint Paul the next morning.:cry:

SilverLeaf
03-18-2015, 11:22 PM
Thought I would post an update to this thread. Five years later my dream has come true! The granary has officially morphed into a sugar shack. Not quite finished yet - I still have some trim painting to do and need to run electric to it and a few other odds & ends like that. But this past weekend we did our first boil! The only bummer is this year is a bust for us. Looks like we're shutting down for the season already, and we'd only barely started.

We left the tiny cupola as-is, and did go ahead and make a door on the peak on both sides of the shack. (both doors open & close via a cable attached to a hand crank) I was worried that this unorthodox approach might not work the best, but we've found it to be just fine! We did find though that we have to have both doors open or we don't get enough airflow in the rafters and the steam builds up too much. But with both doors open it works like a charm!

The other challenge was with the roof so high we had to have an extra long stack. I was a little worried about that too but it hasn't been a problem. We get a good draft but not too much. So all in all I would call it a success! Looking forward to next year when (hopefully) we get a year that's not so short.

Here's a few photos snapped with a smartphone. As I said there's still a few finishing touches before I can consider it done. But I'm lovin' it already! So is my dad. He's been the big workhorse in this project. I think he really likes the fact that this old building that was an important part of his farming operation for years is getting a new lease on life.

PeddlerLakeSapper
03-19-2015, 11:30 AM
Great old building, glad to see you saved it.

jbhummer2
03-20-2015, 03:22 PM
awesome! Wish I had something like that on my property but i dont. I am looking to build one this summer or find a small building I can move on a farm around my area. Looks great nice work.

SilverLeaf
03-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Posting a few more (better) pics.

After a couple boils now I know for sure that I will never get a steam hood. As suggested above, it really is fun to watch the steam roll up and out!