PDA

View Full Version : Sp-11

jwalker
05-11-2010, 07:27 PM
What can anyone tell me about these pumps? I searched old threads and found some info. Looks to be good for 4-500 taps? What size gas motor would be recommended? How does this compare to a Delaval 73?

Any thoughts?

lpakiz
05-11-2010, 09:48 PM
I ran an SP-11 this year on 200+ taps. I used a 3 1/2 HP Tecumseh (from an old snowblower) and it worked GREAT! Ran the engine just above idle most of the time. I did not use a regulator--just plumbed vacuum direct from the resevoir tank to the releaser. Usually had around 22 HG vacuum. Some days it went towards 24 but then i would slow the motor down even more. This is a great advantage with a gas engine--in that vacuum level can be regulated with engine speed. Of course, the slower you can run it, the less heat you make. I used the spit/sizzle test on the head of the pump.
I did have to rig up a larger gas tank because the 2 quart would not run long enough. I used a 2 1/2 gallon old steel chain saw gas can and silver-soldered a nipple near the bottom of it. The can hung from the roof of the shack and gravity-fed the carb. You will need to find an engine that has a separate carb from the gas tank. Most small Briggs have the carb direct-mounted to the tank. With this small tank, you cannot run the pump long enough per fill, unless you can fill often. The 3 1/2 HP tecumseh would run 6 hours on a gallon of gas. Hope this is helpful.

jwalker
05-12-2010, 04:31 PM
How much mainline did you have out? Did it overcome leaks ok? We have like 1200' of 3/4 plus another 400' of 1/2 inch. SI am wondering how this will work. What kinda releaser did you run with it?

lpakiz
05-12-2010, 09:27 PM
I had 1500 feet of 3/4 and 200 feet of 1/2 inch. I hunted down leaks quite vigorously and so the SP-11 had no problem with keeping up. I use a Bender Step-Saver releaser. I mounted a piece of plywood (vertically)to an angle iron that in turn was secured onto the agitator motor mount studs in the bulk tank. This put my reeaser right over the agitator hole so it dumped straight down and into the tank.

TF Maple
05-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Here is a picture of the SP-11 I recovered from the old barn I'm taking down. The second pic is the oiling instructions still on the pump, but out of focus. Next is my old dairy pump, a 200 Plus, maybe I can take it apart and make two smaller vacuum pumps some day. Third is the receiver jar and transfer pump. And last is the cube cooler recessed in the ceiling. I hope to figure out how to use all of this someday for maple sap.

Brian Ryther
05-21-2010, 07:04 PM
TF Maple
Can you post what the oil instructions say?

lpakiz
05-21-2010, 09:21 PM
TF Maple,
You will want to remove that galvanized elbow out of the plumbing!! The muffler is meant to be vertical, straight above the oil sight gage. That way, oil mist will collect in the muffler and run back down into the sight gage and pump crankcase.
I want to extend the vertical section of pipe between the sight glass and the muffler to about 3 feet or so. I want to use a rubber radiator hose with an "offset" so I can run the exhaust up, then out through the side of the shack, then up again.. The exhaust will always contain some mist and it gets just a little cloudy in there sometimes.

TF Maple
05-21-2010, 10:15 PM
TF Maple,
You will want to remove that galvanized elbow out of the plumbing!! The muffler is meant to be vertical, straight above the oil sight gage. That way, oil mist will collect in the muffler and run back down into the sight gage and pump crankcase.
I want to extend the vertical section of pipe between the sight glass and the muffler to about 3 feet or so. I want to use a rubber radiator hose with an "offset" so I can run the exhaust up, then out through the side of the shack, then up again.. The exhaust will always contain some mist and it gets just a little cloudy in there sometimes.

Thanks for the muffller advice, I will make the changes.

TF Maple
05-21-2010, 10:17 PM
TF Maple
Can you post what the oil instructions say?

I will check it in the morning so I can give the complete instructions. I believe it said the oil level in the glass should be 3/8 inch when the pump isn't running.

TF Maple
05-22-2010, 12:01 PM
I couldn't get my camera to take an in-focus picture of the oiling label. There is nothing unusual in the instructions but here they are.
" To put oil in pump unscrew muffler pipe from tee and pour oil in tee. When full, oil should show 3/8 inch in transparent hose when pump is not running. If oil does not show in hose, add to get to proper level. Always keep oil showing when pump is not running. "