PDA

View Full Version : Leader 2x6 (older) estimate

adk1
05-11-2010, 09:51 AM
I might have an oppertunity to purchase an older Leader 2x6 evap. It is in decent condition, has a cracked front cast door. What would you guess the asking price will be?:confused:

whalems
05-11-2010, 11:01 AM
What kind of pans? stainless/tin soldered/welded pre-heaters? hoods? fire brick? more info would be easier to Guesstimate?:)

adk1
05-11-2010, 12:07 PM
SS tig welded I would guess. 2x3 syrup and 2x3 flue. nice shape. I beleive it was the onld Vermonter evap or something.. I dont really know. Ballpark estimate please

whalems
05-11-2010, 12:25 PM
IF its tig welded pans w/ all the fittings and in good shape. I would guess anywhere from 1500-3000 depending on what all comes w/ it. A new set of pans from leader for that arch are 2500. Hope that helps. Mike

adk1
05-11-2010, 12:43 PM
ok, thats about what Ifigured. I wouldnt pay over $1500 for it

adk1
03-22-2011, 10:37 AM
King Pans. Arch is in decent shape with one crack that has been repaired above the door. The pans are in good shape and are tig welded. I would estimate that the entire rig is 25 years old. I need some estimated values please!

jmattice
03-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Are you sure they are tig welded? Most pans that old were soldered, with leaded solder I think.

adk1
03-22-2011, 11:17 AM
How about an estimate with each????

Brokermike
03-22-2011, 12:22 PM
How about you get the actual information?

If it's 25 years old it doesn't have welded pans, or it is EXTREMELY unlikely. If it's in good shape, just frigging buy it.

If you can buy a well kept 2x6 with stainless pans for anything less than 2.5k you're doing well, add a hood and preheater, and blower and you're lucky to find one under 3k. $1500 isn't reasonable. You might as well go to a steak house, and ask for a $7 Porterhouse, you may eventually find a steakhouse that serves it, but you'll waste $500 in gas driving around, and when you get the steak home you'll realize it ain't Porterhouse

The only important part about the pans if they're stainless and if they leak. yes to the first and no to the second is all that matters.

The doors are irrelevent, you'll be wanting to upgrade to an airtight front eventually anyway. Just make sure the front casting sits level so that the pans can sit level.

We'll be microwaving sap through teleportation devices on mars before you make a decision. TRUST me once you buy an evaporator the whole process gets easier, and you'll eventually get bigger.

Good Luck but you'd have much more fun boiling than shopping

briduhunt
03-22-2011, 12:24 PM
I bought a 2x6 Leader drop flue that was manufactured in 1980 (from what I was told) pans are soldered and it had a few leaks and the arch needed to be re-tinned and there was a crack in the front casting. I paid $1300 for it with 55 buckets,spikes and lids along with 2 cone filters and all the fire bricks. I had the arch redone with 1/4" steel had the arch beefed up with more angle iron and the front door welded all for $300.00. All in all I got a good deal for what I got.

adk1
03-22-2011, 12:25 PM

If it's 25 years old it doesn't have welded pans, or it is EXTREMELY unlikely. If it's in good shape, just frigging buy it.

If you can buy a well kept 2x6 with stainless pans for anything less than 2.5k you're doing well, add a hood and preheater, and blower and you're lucky to find one under 3k. $1500 isn't reasonable. You might as well go to a steak house, and ask for a $7 Porterhouse, you may eventually find a steakhouse that serves it, but you'll waste $500 in gas driving around, and when you get the steak home you'll realize it ain't Porterhouse

The only important part about the pans if they're stainless and if they leak. yes to the first and no to the second is all that matters.

The doors are irrelevent, you'll be wanting to upgrade to an airtight front eventually anyway. Just make sure the front casting sits level so that the pans can sit level.

We'll be microwaving sap through teleportation devices on mars before you make a decision. TRUST me once you buy an evaporator the whole process gets easier, and you'll eventually get bigger.

Good Luck but you'd have much more fun boiling than shopping

Well, cant afford that. Thanks for the comment

Brokermike
03-22-2011, 12:46 PM
then find out the specs, offer what you can afford and see how it goes.

The worst they can say is no!

To keep asking hypothetical questions with very limited information is only going to increase your frustration

Dill
03-22-2011, 01:23 PM

We'll be microwaving sap through teleportation devices on mars

Slightly off subject but one person who stopped at Josh's for open house weekend said he tried to make syrup in the microwave.

And I agree on the 2x6, any 2x6 is worth money. Bruce B would snag it for 1200 and sell it for 2500 without changing a thing. 2x6s are the 3x4 ton pickup of the maple world, we've all had one, and there are always people looking for them.

Kev
03-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Slightly off subject but one person who stopped at Josh's for open house weekend said he tried to make syrup in the microwave.

And I agree on the 2x6, any 2x6 is worth money. Bruce B would snag it for 1200 and sell it for 2500 without changing a thing. 2x6s are the 3x4 ton pickup of the maple world, we've all had one, and there are always people looking for them.

My money says it would be doable if you could figure out a way to get the steam sucked out of the microwave and get sap in and syrup out without nuking yourself in the process. :D

3rdgen.maple
03-23-2011, 01:04 AM
Okay Im going to throw my 2 cents towards ya. If it was me and I say IF, and with the info that was bleed out of you on what it is here is how IM going to break it down. 1 It has to be soldered to be of that age or someone
had new pans made so Im going with solder on that one. 2 It has a crack in it, reality is alot do and not a huge deal but another way to work the dollars. 3. it only has a 3 foot flue pan, so it is on the low side for gph on a 2x6, which isnt a bad thing and might fit you perfectly since you are looking to put in 100 taps, but again its another way to work the dollars. So if indeed it is what you say and I noticed you said guessing it 25 years old I would throw 10- 100 dollar bills at the guy and if he says no Id throw 2 more at him and if he said no again Id walk. I would take some time ADK1 and look it over and put your hands on it, check the stack, stack base, bottom of the arch for rot, pits in pans, heck take a lead test kit along with you, check the float and box is all in tact and working. a 1000 bucks is a good deal but only if you dont need another grand to get her up to snuff.

3rdgen.maple
03-23-2011, 01:06 AM
You know I was just thinking a little more about this adk1. I tell you what I will do for ya. You go out and buy me a new 3x8 with all the bells on her and I will give you my 3 year old 2x6 drop flue.

lakeview maple
03-24-2011, 10:49 PM
I bought a early 90s leader 2x6 with a 2x3 drop flue and a 2x3 divided front pan,the arch had a crack at the top above the doors but it had been fixed ,the guy threw in a blower and a bunch of other spare parts he had collected,even gave me the old stack pipe,I paid 1400 and it is the best thing I ever did ,have had a blast so far with 110 taps on line and around 25 buckets ,weve made 4 and half gallons and are still having fun ,so get out there and get one and jump in with both feet,the worst case is you might burn your pan or you get no sap,but you cant make syrup until you get boiling,good luck and God Bless,Al

Southtowns27
03-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Any evaporator is better than the evaporator you have right now....
If you're only willing to pay $1500 for it, then that answers the question...it's only worth $1500.
Just buy the **** thing and go make syrup already!

SPILEDRIVER
03-25-2011, 06:42 PM
if the pans dont leak id buy it for 12-1500$ i just bought a leader vt 2x5with a 2x3 drop flue for 1200$ thing is awesome and i love it! boiled for years on a grimm 2x6 raised flue tin pans until it flat out fell apart/wore out.at 50$ a gallon i only gotta make 24 gallons to pay for it and ive allready made and sold 12 of that ,heck ill have it paid for by the end of the weekend and ive only had it 8 days!

adk1
03-25-2011, 06:47 PM
if the pans dont leak id buy it for 12-1500$ i just bought a leader vt 2x5with a 2x3 drop flue for 1200$ thing is awesome and i love it! boiled for years on a grimm 2x6 raised flue tin pans until it flat out fell apart/wore out.at 50$ a gallon i only gotta make 24 gallons to pay for it and ive allready made and sold 12 of that ,heck ill have it paid for by the end of the weekend and ive only had it 8 days!

Now thats what I am talking about! nice job!