PDA

View Full Version : Woodsplitter questions - which one?

BHMC
05-10-2010, 11:07 PM
In looking at the splitters out there I have it down to a few. American & Timberwolf - Now it seems that you get more splitter for the dollar from American. I know Timberwolf has an excellent splitter and a good marketing plan in place. Has anyone had a bad time with an American splitter. I think I can get more splitter for the money from American. Your thoughts are welcome.

ADKMAPLE
05-11-2010, 05:59 AM
If you can afford a Timberwolf that I what I would recomend. A local saw shop here sells Northstar I believe. I also think that is American but not sure.
I have a Yard Machine that I bought off a friend of mine who in turn bought a Timberwolf. I couldnt pass up the deal, $350 for a 31 ton

Ausable
05-11-2010, 06:55 AM
One thing You need for sure - is a splitter that will operate in either Horizontal or Vertical positions. Most factory made splitters are now built that way. A lot of the home built models were strictly horizontal and a back-breaker on the big rounds. For an older guy - like myself- when I'm splitting large rounds in a vertical position - i sit on a short stool - I can split faster and also save my back.... I do very little with a hand splitting maul anymore - but - always enjoy watching my younger kin have splitting contests with hand mauls. Hahahaha -- I get a lot of wood split and get entertainment at the same time.......a genuine twofer ----- Mike

ADKMAPLE
05-11-2010, 06:58 AM
I agree, luckily mine does split vert too. However, if your really gonna do it right, but a TImberwolf wit hthe optional log lift. best of both worlds there

Ausable
05-11-2010, 07:05 AM
I agree, luckily mine does split vert too. However, if your really gonna do it right, but a TImberwolf wit hthe optional log lift. best of both worlds there

A Log Lift --- I guess so -- I haven't looked at splitters in quite awhile -- and didn't know there was such a thing -- I going to start poking around - gotta see one of those.... and how they work -- thanks for the info -- Mike

adk1
05-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Oh yeah, they are the cats meow..The Timberwolf TW5 is what my buddy has..Hyfro log lift on it, lifts like 250 lbs or something.. that way you only need to roll the round and not put it on end etc..

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Here is the splitter I bought about a month ago. I paid the extra and got the bolt one 4 way wedge and it speeds up splitting tremendously. I ran a few cords of wood thru it and it did tremendous. It has the commercial grade Honda engine on it and it extremely well built and heavy duty. When I bought it, they were having a one day sale with 10% off of everything in the store.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326290_200326290

adk1
05-11-2010, 09:18 AM
this one is the ticket

http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/log_splitters/default.asp?id=10

Ausable
05-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Wow - Have I been living in the past - Looked at both of them - So by the pictures - it looks like the Timber Wolf can raise the chunk to the splitter rails and the hydralic ram pushes the chunk or round into the four way splitter. Can you split the wood even smaller with this rig?... kinda looks like you could - but would take some getting used too - pushing the wood into the splitter. So with this setup -- there would be no need to tip into a vertical position........really -- thats good - I don't like splitting in the vertical position anyway... thanks for the info -- Guys..................... Mike

adk1
05-11-2010, 11:37 AM
I have run this splitter many times. Put it this way, you cant keep up with it with one person, two is better and three prefered. yeah, the lift just lifts it up. the controls allow you to put the ram in motion and then walk away. when you return the ram will ahve split the round and moved back into position for antoehr round. "autoforward"...My splitter only has "autoreverse"

You can get a 4 way and 6 way wedge for it. maybe even 8 way

3rdgen.maple
05-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Just a bit of caution for you guys who run the vertical horizontal splitters. In order to split in the vertical position they put the wedge on the ram off the piston which is fine. But if you were to put a 4 way wedge on them it will cause stress to the ram arm and cause premature failure. What happens is the wood that is being split between the wedge and the I beam can and does get caught between the two which in return puts excessive stress on the ram and I beam. It is not like the top peices being split that just fall off with gravity there is alot of stress on the bottom. WHen I bought mine I never thought about this and asked for a 4 way attachment and the sales man took me out back and showed me a splitter with the seals blown out and the ram twisted and then asked you sure you still want one. If your wedge is on the end of the splitter and not the ram you are gonna be fine but I never seen a vertical splitter that way, where would the spits go? Oh a floating 4 way on a regular splitter is also less stressful on the end wedge too.

adk1
05-11-2010, 12:44 PM
I dont have anything like that, mine does go verticle but it only splits into two.

sugarmaker43
05-11-2010, 02:51 PM
I bought a 36" 3 point hitch American Splitter 3 years ago with the 20 gallon PTO pump and it works very well. It is well made and for the money can't go wrong. If you have a large chunk you can lower it down to the ground to roll it onto it very easy. If their stand alone splitters are as well made It should be a good splitter as well. Timber Wolfs are top of the line and I know of several folks with them and they love them just expensive.

adk1
05-11-2010, 02:54 PM
yes they are expensive...Put it this way, dont expect to pay less than $2,000 for the smallest Timberwolf.

BHMC
05-11-2010, 09:38 PM
I also spoke to a friend who said the Super Split is a great machine. Any time in the field with this model?

maple flats
05-12-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm interested in the supersplit but think it my be too fast for hired help. Safety concerns me with it. There is a web site, google super split and watch it in action. Looks too easy for help to lose a finger/hand etc.

bucksyrup
05-12-2010, 10:32 AM
American has done fine by me... 1200 cord of wood in 7 years and all i have had to do was replace the pump once.

THCPrecision
05-12-2010, 11:49 AM
The super splits are pretty awsome been using one for 0ver 20 years. Ours used to have a caution sticker by the activation handle that said "PLEASE CUT OFF YOUR OWN FINGERS" this was made and put on by some one who borrowed the machine once. meaning it was a one man machine I guess. I got tired of sharing with my father and bought a wallenstein 20 ton horizontal with removable 4 way wedge. I love it. The quick pace of the supersplit can get to you after a while the hydraulic wallenstein is about 14 sec cycle quick enough iguess How fast do you need to go. What does most of your wood look like size hard /soft wood, knots, weight, personal physical limitations ect storage space. Got a friend bought Timber wolf 3ph and runs tractor pto 1000 and idles tractor (kubota 2850) and is boasting 6 sec cycle with gobs of power to spare. Just rember if you get a real nice one they come with lots of friends.

WMF
05-12-2010, 12:50 PM
I would not buy a splitter with a welded cylinder, tie rod cylinders will last longer.
The American splitters are built very rugged and simple for the money. I went to the factory in Rochester, NY and was impressed by their facility. Looks like they run a tight ship around there.

C.Wilcox
05-12-2010, 02:41 PM
It's a bit extreme for residential purposes, but I thought this was an interesting machine.

http://www.chomper.net/video.html

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Northern tools has their splitters on sale now if anyone is looking at one. They all have Honda engines.

Brokermike
05-13-2010, 10:55 AM
has anyone seen their Powerhouse brand splitters that split both ways/ They look sweet.

I have a TSC special 22 ton and it is reasonably fast (13 second cycle time) but not fast enough for me. There isn't anything that I haven't been able to split but I wish it had a 4 way wedge sometimes

Randy Brutkoski
05-13-2010, 03:19 PM
I bought a TSC 22 ton today and i hope it satisfies me. My wife is wondering when I am going to stop buying all of these toys and start making some money. I really dont want to tell her the truth because then she will shut the check book off.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-13-2010, 09:06 PM
The powerhouse look good and are cheap, but seem too cheap considering the price. Has a Powerhouse engine on it too, so guess it is something new Northern tools has came out with.

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
06-17-2010, 06:10 AM
I bought one like this from harbor freight back in 2002 and it still runs excellent as of today, never any problems. give her fresh oil changes and gas and you are set. .. mine came with a B&S engine though. 24 ton.. paid $800. new.. it has paid for its self many times over in all the years with it. it splits anything ive hit with it no problems..

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=91839&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=

http://images.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/91800-91899/91839.gif

adk1
06-17-2010, 08:40 AM
speaking of splitters, I need to get mine out of the woods. been up on the top of my hill all spring, covered in plastic..but still, she is used to being in my garage! this weekend for sure!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-19-2010, 07:15 AM
In reference to the Harbor freight splitter, sometimes they have 10% off coupons and you can save even more on them if you get a 10%. The have been putting a 20% coupon in a lot of fliers and hunting magazines the past several months.

Last time I checked, they have a Robin engine on them which I think may be made by Subaru, but not completely sure.