PDA

View Full Version : New sap ladder question

batsofbedlam
05-10-2010, 07:53 AM
I am expanding one of my sugarbushes and adding vacuum. I need to connect a gravity fed pipeline about 400' away into this system by using a sap ladder. I have used a two star sap ladder on another sugarbush for years and it has worked well.
The owner of the property of the new sugarbush asks that I keep a low profile on this system. I've decided to go with the two pipeline system rather than the star system.
Finally, the question. Will the two pipeline ladder system work if the two pipes are not vertical, but are on a steep angle, following a steep hillside to gain the needed elevation? If I can keep the pipeline close to the steep hillside, it would be less conspicuous.

Haynes Forest Products
05-10-2010, 08:22 AM
How much lift are you trying to do in one shot? Sounds like you want to run your line up a hill and call it a sap ladder:rolleyes: Nice try............lets see if I call my wife a super model...........wait here ill be right back:mad: :emb: didnt work.

mapleack
05-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Depends on how much elevation lift. I think in theory it would work fine if the elevation change wasnt too much.

ennismaple
05-10-2010, 11:12 AM
If you read the OMSPA sap ladder research paper they said a 2-pipe ladder on an angle didn't work well. If I remember right, the sap rolled back and didn't lift like 2 vertical pipes.

Extend your upper pipe until it's above the lower one. Our double spider that goes over a trail is 15 feet up the tree to make it work.

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Ennis hit the nail on the head when he said "up the tree". If you want your ladder to be unobtrusive, run your pipes directly up a tree. They will hardly show.

batsofbedlam
05-10-2010, 06:27 PM
I figured a lift of 8' to 10' max. Haynes, I guess you are right, I am trying to run the line uphill. Straight up next to a tree sound like the way to go.
Thanks for the input everyone.

orser506
05-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Nice try............lets see if I call my wife a super model...........wait here ill be right back:mad: :emb: didnt work

too funny