PDA

View Full Version : Pump and Releaser

Amber Gold
05-09-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm moving into a 2200 tap orchard which will likely end up at 2500 taps once some more pockets are opened up.

I've located a LR pump that pulls 75 cfm pump at 20" and 50 cfm at 28". Is there a problem with going too big on a vacuum pump. It has a 4hp motor that draws 12 amps.

The ratings the manufacturers have on releasers are those ratings for medium vac. or high vac?

I've located a 20"x24" single horizontal releaser rated for 6000 taps. Is there an issue with going with too big of a releaser?

Thanks

maple flats
05-09-2010, 12:20 PM
The releaser is no problem and the only problem on the pump is that it will cost more to run. On the other side there are advantages, small leaks are much less critical. Better too big that too small. You could also use a larger pulley on the pump to slow it a little and use a smaller motor. Then if you grow into needing the larger CFM just change back. As far as stated CFM, there is no way to be sure but most likely it is at med vac. Was this a dairy vac or a maple vac as designed by the MFR?
Try looking up that make and model for online specs, someplace the CFM will be stated at a specific vac level.

maple flats
05-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Amend my last post. You have the CFM at 20" and 28", please state your question about low and high vac. at 50 CFM at 28" you should be good even if you have some sap ladders.

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Josh,
Better oversize than undersize. I run a 75 CFM pump from RoyalMaple (gas powered) on 2000 taps. There are about 2000 taps and 27 or 28 lifts and ladders. It also powers a vacuum powered sap pump (uses 10 cfm). I have the 6000 tap horizontal releaser on it. Is it bigger than I need? Yup. Does it do a good job? Yup! IMHO if you can get the oversize pump and releaser at a reasonable cost, go for it.
Doug

Randy Brutkoski
05-09-2010, 03:22 PM
The cost of the electric wont be that bad, I have a 7.5 horse 75 cfm atlantic fluid liquid ring pump and it only cost me $400 to run it all season. That payed for itself really quick, even with a horrible season. do it.

Amber Gold
05-09-2010, 07:10 PM
The cfm ratings came from the pump manufacturer's brochure on the pump. That pump is supposed to come w/ a 5hp motor and this one has a 4hp motor. Will this reduce the cfm even if the motor rpm's are the same? Even if it does reduce it, there should be enough flexibility to still have enough.

Pump and releaser are both used. I need to get some more information on the pump before I buy it. The releaser I've located, but need to contact the seller.

Doug, 28 lifts?? Are you tapping a swap with no grade change? If you don't have vac. you have no options. Wow.

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Josh,
My bush is relatively flat and is spread over a large area. Parts of it slope away from where I have my releaser and tanks. When I had some of this on gravity, it drained into tanks on the far side of the bush and I pumped it 1/2 mile. With vacuum, I use a series of ladders to get it all out to 1 location and from there pump it another 2000 feet to the sugar house.
Doug