PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Shack Location

Ausable
05-07-2010, 09:41 AM
The location for my Sugar Shack was kind of by accident. After experimenting on the Wife's Kitchen Stove for a couple of seasons - She finally had enough and laid the law down - Outside or Die. About the same time some friends gave us a 2' x 2' open pan to use. So I built a stove out of a 55 gallon oil drum and a Vogelzang Barrel Kit and was kind of in business. Where the heck am I gonna put this thing - gotta find some kind of an open spot out of the hemlocks and balsam fir so I don't burn everything down. Had a spot in a low area with no trees overhead - set the stove on top of about three foot of snow and started a fire in it and kept it a roaring till the snow was melted - shimmed the stove level and started my first outside boil. Funny how a Sugar Shack starts - In my case in wasn't from brilliant planning like some of the guys do - but - rather from need. When the wind blew I put up a couple of 4x8 sheets and when it rained I rigged some poles and tarps and when weather improved started the sugar shack. By accident I picked a good spot without knowing it and the Shack has been enlarged some - but - is still in the same location -----

maple flats
05-07-2010, 12:00 PM
I planned my location. After boiling in 03 with a half pint on the patio I started a sugarhouse in my maple woods where I will someday build my retirement home. I designed the route of the driveway in 400' from the road and placed the sugarhouse 1 car length off the driveway.