PDA

View Full Version : Best "yard Sale"finds???

SPILEDRIVER
05-06-2010, 07:54 PM
just curious what "sweet"deals youve ran across at yard sales?
i bought the following at a yard sale for 80$ 2 years ago
leader kitchen pan(21"x21") looks new after i cleaned it
75-plastic 7/16 spiles
75-aluminum 7/16 spiles
300' 5/16 tubeing
a old 2x6 flat english tin pan
a divided syrup pan(english) i think came off a 3x8
sap and syrup hydrometer
2 therometers
big bag of pre filters/final filter
bunch of sugar molds

ADKMAPLE
05-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Well, there arent many producers in my area. Actually, on my road I think I will be the only one in my area or within 10 miles of me anyways so Iwould venture a guess that I wouldnt find alot of sugarin stuff

maplefrank
05-06-2010, 08:33 PM
wish i had that kind of luck...

maplemat1
05-06-2010, 09:11 PM
was at an auction a few weeks ago and got 1 skim scoop 1 large scoop and 1 small scoop at a real good deal cant say price because they are for sale now

Haynes Forest Products
05-06-2010, 11:16 PM
I asked a buddy to look for a old shack to move to my woods for the home built rig and he called and said he found one. The problem was it was full of old crap.
12 x 8 English tin evap.
Arch with brick
stack
Oak desk
Oak chair
old deck of playing cards
1952 Dept ag maple sirup (thats how its spelled) producers manuel
2 skimmers
galvanized hydro cup and hydrometer
100 buckets and spiles with covers
50 gallon galvanized collection tank
300lbs of birds nests in the walls and no floor
$600.00 cash pick up only NO SHIPPING:D

KenWP
05-07-2010, 08:28 PM
If you find sugerung stuff at a garage sale here or a auction it looks like somebody hated the stuff. best deal I ever got was a old large pocket watch. Turned out to be 18 karat gold.
Guy I know found 300 buckets once for 40 bucks at a garage sale. Have no idea why they sold so cheap.

Rhino
05-07-2010, 09:11 PM
As a garage sale addict.... The best sugaring deal was at a scrap yard when i took some scrap to sell, and on their shelf where they put stuff they think might bring more money then scrap that people threw out, was a bunch of metal taps that were in great shape. I casually asked ,"what do you have to have for that bucket of "old" taps. They casually replied," oh, we got to get $5.00 out of those". I peeled out $5.00 and laughed the whole time i was counting out close to 100 spun aluminum taps with hooks. Scrap yard pit bosses don't know jack about syrup supplies!!!!! (pity). Best non sugaring find was a 1971 Harley(AMF) Rapido dirt bike. Guy got caught here in Wis. poaching whitetails and needed the cash so Rhino got the Rapido for $300 bucks! mint shape. (pity). Love garage sales! Getting the fever just thinking about the sale season ahead.

Russell Lampron
05-08-2010, 05:34 AM
This wasn't a yard sale find but it was good none the less. I found a Weber 3 burner gas grille on the side of the road for free. I cut the frame and welded it together to make a wheeled 3 burner gas finisher. I had W F Mason build me a custom pan for it and I now have a finisher for a fraction of the cost of a new one from the maple suppliers.

whalems
05-08-2010, 07:36 AM
I found a good deal on the "internet yard sale" (craigs list).

all castings for a 4 foot wide vermont arch
Including all the fire grates, stack adapter, doors, front and back
4x6 english tin syrup pan ( alittle rough but only one small leak)
4x5 drop flue pan (it's shot will need a replacement)
16 feet of stack
100 used 7/16 taps
syrup thermometer

All for the grand total of $30: :)

almost felt guilty driving away w/ a car hauler and truck full of "maple stuff" for $30. Still can't get the smile off my face!!:)

maple flats
05-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Yesterday my wife found a computor desk much bigger and better than our old one for $30. It is now holding my computor that I am using at this moment. It looks to be in perfect shape except 1 scratch on the side that I have facing the corner and can't be seen. Last year I went to a sale where i got some 2" heavy weight straps, sewn in an 8' loop. The type strap that is on a 12,000# ratchet binder. I bought 3 not knowing what for at the time at $5 ea. They were like new. Within 3 mos I found the perfect use. I have an excavator and a sawmill. I now run 2 straps around a log, hook one end to an outer tooth, around the log and back to the same tooth, doing this on both sides of the bucket. I then lift and carry the log to set on the mill, with excellent control of position and I can place the log exactly where I need it much faster and easier than when I used forks on my FEL bucket, and I have not yet had a log I couldn't lift. The loader could only lift about 800# out on the forks, the excavator can lift up to about 2500# with the front blade down while holding it about 6' out in front. To carry and move I need to carry real heavy logs closer to the machine until I can lower the blade to reach out. I now wish I had bought several more, he must have had 20 or maybe 25 such loops.

lpakiz
05-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Best garage sale find was an SP-11 mounted on the original vacuum tank, including the motor with plug-in cord. $75

jasonl6
05-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Last spring on our way to church we stoped at a estate sale. The were selling everything after the owner died. We were in a rush so we didn't look much but did find 3 buckets of spiles. We asked how much and he said $20/bucket. When we stoped back after church he said i have buckets too if you want them. We walked out with 350-400 buckets/lids and 3 buckets of spiles plus a couple boxes of unused tin containers for under $200 bucks.

I didn't know it at the time but the origional arch was still in the falling down shed. The pans were shot but all the castings were still good and i heard they went to the scrap yard :-(

This spring a bought 12 burlap bags of lateral line and 5/16" taps plus a 55 gal drum of lateral line and taps for $75 bucks :-)

Last one :-) Got a delaval vain pump last week for 2 quarts of syrup ($30).

I go to every farm auction and yardsale i can.

jason