PDA

View Full Version : New Style Phaneuf 2x4?

BHMC
05-04-2010, 09:33 PM
I was checking out the web and ran into this Patrick Phaneuf 2x4 one piece pan. It is laid out as follows: Rear flu pan is a 6"x24" entry pan, then into a
24x24 flu pan (8-5" drop flues) then into a 18"x24" cross flow syrup pan. The claim is 20 to 25 ghp. In looking at the pan it looks like the same type of Vermont Style pan I have from Leader. I was looking to replace my tin for stainless and I thought this would be a good fit. I also thought the cross flow on a small rig would be a benefit. Price is 995.00. I would like your thoughts on the whole set-up and if it would get the evaporation rate claimed. Let me know before I run out and buy one. Side note - I would be using my Leader Arch for this pan set-up. Thanks!

3rdgen.maple
05-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Seems to me that is a good price. I can tell you he told me I would get 35 gph on my 2x6 and it gets 40 all day so I would have to say if the claim is 20 to 25 you should get it. Neet little setup. I would say the cost is lower cause of less sheet metal used to form a separate syrup pan. It will be harder to remove and clean of course but as long as you can plug off the flue pan and be able to clean the syrup pan without having to drain the flues it should work pretty sweet. Just noticed it has a separate pan in the back for a preheater as well. Next question I would be asking is if the float box comes with it.

BHMC
05-04-2010, 10:06 PM
3rdgen - I don't think it does...on a setup like that where would it (floatbox) go? At the entry or between the flu and syrup pan. If you look at the photo with the side shot it shows what looks like a handle and I think that is the feed from flu pan to the syrup pan...direct!

3rdgen.maple
05-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Well in the first pic you can see the port where the sap enters the preheater and that would be the place to put it. Also I do not think that is a handle at all it is the transition pipe from the flue section to the syrup pan. A float box where it enters in the preheater will regulate the sap level from front to back. It would make life alot better with it. Patrick also normally includes valves and thermometer with his pans. Just some questions you can ask if these are included or not. Valve and thermometer can eat a 100 dollar bill pretty quick.

SPILEDRIVER
05-06-2010, 05:21 PM
he has these on ebay with several more (5) photos.i really like the looks of this and will probably buy one befor next season,im in the process of building a drop flue pan but after seeing this setup i think i might scrap the whole idea and just buy one of these