PDA

View Full Version : Gast Pump

DrTimPerkins
05-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Can anyone tell me what this pump is worth? Probably going to sell it. We used it in our operation for several years, but stopped using it about 8 yrs ago. It's been sitting in its shelter since then. It pulled about 18-19" Hg on about 1,500 taps on a fairly leaky old tubing system.

I believe rebuild kits are still available from GAST.

Would need a moisture trap and releaser to work.

http://tinyurl.com/2an73hz

Thanks.

johnallin
05-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Hey Doc?
Is it food grade? Couldn't resist :)

3rdgen.maple
05-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Just about a dollar but im feeling generous and will offer up a 1.50 and even cover shipping. Actually Doc not sure but I have one that looks very darn close to that pump, setup exact same way. Gast tells me it will pull 25" and has a cfm of 47. Good pump and the only thing that ever needs replacing after many years of use is the vanes and bearings and they should be no problem getting. A comparible brand new pump alone without a drive motor or the oil setup on it will cost 1000 bucks. It will make someone a great pump.

DrTimPerkins
05-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Hey Doc?
Is it food grade? Couldn't resist :)

Sure....but it tastes funny when you lick it.

caseyssugarshack93
05-04-2010, 09:38 PM
So what we thinking for numbers? :D

TF Maple
05-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Sure....but it tastes funny when you lick it.

Did you wash it in Dove Soap??:lol: :lol:

Jim Brown
05-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Dr. Perkins; Gast web site says 55 CFM at open flow for the mentioned pump(AD 190-V4) and looks like 35 CFM at approx 20 inches according to the chart. kind of hard to tell.With the motor and in working conition I would think $3-500 would not be asking too much.Maybe more .
Just my two cents

Jim

DrTimPerkins
05-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Dr. Perkins; Gast web site says 55 CFM at open flow for the mentioned pump(AD 190-V4) and looks like 35 CFM at approx 20 inches according to the chart. kind of hard to tell.With the motor and in working conition I would think $3-500 would not be asking too much.Maybe more

Thanks Jim. We pulled it out today to get a closer look. It is a GAST 4565-V6 pump with oiler. Specs available at:
http://www.gastmfg.com/pdf/rotvane/4565_series.pdf , but it looks like about 10 CFM at 20" Hg. It is coupled to a Craftsman 3HP motor, and has a cooling fan.

Photos at: http://tinyurl.com/2an73hz

ennismaple
05-05-2010, 03:12 PM
I doubt you got 20+ gallons of sap per tap on 1500 taps with a 10CFM pump! Definitely a good pump for a 500-1000 tap bush.

DrTimPerkins
05-05-2010, 03:24 PM
I doubt you got 20+ gallons of sap per tap on 1500 taps with a 10CFM pump! Definitely a good pump for a 500-1000 tap bush.

Never said we did.

farmall h
05-05-2010, 08:14 PM
enismaple has his numbers bass ackwards.:)

ennismaple
05-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Just being a smart a$$ - knowing you've recently exceeded those numbers on high vac with cv's. My warped sense of humour doesn't come though over the web sometimes...

3rdgen.maple
05-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Those numbers I gave you were for open flow and after looking at the chart the gast dealer that gave me those specs was spot on. It was nice seeing the chart on that link showing how much hg's and cfm's are lost. I would think 500 it not unreasonable for that setup at all. Dr Tim by chance do you remember how the electronics where hooked up on that oiler? I have one pump with the same setup and wondering where or what to connect them too.

DrTimPerkins
05-06-2010, 06:36 AM
do you remember how the electronics where hooked up on that oiler? I have one pump with the same setup and wondering where or what to connect them too.

No idea. Tell me what you want detailed photos of and I can get them. Will take a few days....headed to Bascom's this afternoon. Won't be able to get them until sometime next week.

3rdgen.maple
05-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks Doc. What I am looking for is what the end of the electrical line coming out of the oiler is attached too. I am thinking is must be connected to another power source so when the pump turns on it opens a solenoid in the oiler itself so it does not let oil pass when the pump is not running. You do not have to go out of your way to get this for me if you are in the area of the pump and it does not take anthing away from your day then all is good.

brookledge
05-07-2010, 07:21 PM
I would assume that the power to the selenoid is 110 and wired so that when the pump is on oil will drip and when off it will shut the flow off. Look on the selenoid and see if it has any numbers stamped in it to indicate the voltage. It would not make sense to have dc voltage like 12 or 24 volt since you would need a transformer. On my gast pump it doesn't have a selenoid on it and after it has not run for a long time the oil will drain out of the oiler and fill the pump. It could also be 220-230 volt also
Keith

3rdgen.maple
05-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Well the wiring goes directly into the oil assembly and I highly doubt that it is marked on the internal parts as to its voltage. This setup was run a few different ways depending on the application it was installed on. Mine came of a machine in the printing industry and the oiler was hooked up to a control board that regulated how often it opened the solenoid to allow oil to enter the pump head. It was done this way to limit the amount of oil from getting in the blow lines and spitting oil all over the paper. I assume in the maple application it would be just ran to a direct power supply and turned on when the pump is running. With that said I want to figure out if power was picked up of one leg of the motor so there is not more than one plug to mess with. There are obvious easy ways to do things but I want to find out the smart way lol.