PDA

View Full Version : Depth in pan

nmerritt
03-29-2005, 04:26 PM
I am currently boiling on a leader 2x4 which has a float system (not float box) It works ok if you run 1 ½-2 inches of sap. Seems like I cannot get syrup with this depth. I have to boil it down to about bare bottom, draw off, then quickly crank the sap around so not to burn the pan. What’s going on? Anyone else use a 2x4 and have any suggestions. I seem to be making a good amount of syrup, but it gets a little nerve racking when you draw off with so little sap in the pan

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-29-2005, 05:01 PM
Try running the level around 1" all the time and try drawing off a small amount such as a pint every little bit. :D

Skydog
03-29-2005, 07:29 PM
I use a Leader half-pint as well, and my experience is similar to yours. My solution has been similar to what Brandon suggests--run it around 1 inch all the time and draw off smaller amounts bit by bit. I don't try to boil it all the way to syrup on the half-pint. Instead I get it as close as I dare, draw it off a little at a time, and once I have a good batch (couple gallons) of 'almost syrup', I finish it off on a 16 x 16 finisher/bottler using propane, where I can control the heat much more easily.

Skydog

nmerritt
03-29-2005, 07:51 PM
How hard is it to get to the right temp with propane in a separate finishing pan? I guess I could do that, I kind of like drawing off a hydrometer cup or two every so often. That way I test it right when it comes out. So far, knock on wood it has been perfect when I do a cold test the next day. I just don't like having a near empty pan where you can hear the syrup just begging to burn.

Skydog
03-29-2005, 08:18 PM
I find it easier to get it right using the separate finishing pan--just like you're doing, I keep checking it using the hydrometer. I do find I need to filter again coming out of the finishing rig.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-29-2005, 08:18 PM
It is really easy to finish with propane. You can get the syrup to the exact right density and cut the heat back just enough to keep the temp above 180.

To me, it is the only way and the best, but others have their own way and will disagree. :lol: :lol:

nmerritt
03-29-2005, 09:12 PM
so when you folks draw off your evaporators to finish, what is the temp? Do you get it within a few degrees before drawing off. Do you filter it out of the evaporator prior to the finishing pan so once i'ts syrup it can be bottled.

nmerritt
03-29-2005, 09:18 PM
One other thing, is it easy to burn the syrup to the bottom of the pot with the propane. I'm currenlty re-heating my syrup in my turkey fryer to the 180 and then bottle. I bet that would work fine, it puts out one heck of a flame. Not sure if it would burn to the bottom of the pot though

Skydog
03-29-2005, 09:22 PM
I filter coming out of the evaporator, and then again into the finishing rig, then again coming out of the finishing rig.

I confess I don't get too scientific about when I draw off out of the evaporator--I dip a spatula into it and see how it runs off. Then I start using the hydrometer once I've got the finishing rig going.

Maybe someone else who draws off sweet can give us a target temp...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-29-2005, 09:29 PM
I have thermometers on both sides of my evaporator and usually take off the syrup right at proper density and sometimes a touch thick and then filter into my propane filtering and canning unit and adjust the density from there. The closer you get it to syrup on the evaporator, the less you have to finish in the propane finisher! :D

Maple Flats
04-01-2005, 06:47 PM
I also have thermometers on both sides of my evap. I start drawing at 7 deg. above but draw about 2 qts at a time which ends up needing some more boil in the canner because density starts right but ends up needing a little boil time before the 2 qts are drawn. That usually takes from a few minutes up to 30-45 min boil time for the canner batch of from 5-12 gal. before starting the boil. When it tests good with the hydrometer I shut off the propane and start canning when it drops to about 195. Ocasionally I go too far and just add more from the evap as needed.As it gets down to about 182 or 183 I relight the burner and regulate the flame to keep it between 180 and 190 while I continue to can syrup. By the way I filter into the canner with a synthetic filter and from 3-5 pre filters and as each plugs up I carefully dump the remaining syrup into the next layer and continue. After all is filtered and correct density I fill a test bottle and check for clarity, if cloudy I draw it all off into ss pots I have and rinse the canner and then filter again. Sometimes 1st time is good sometimes I need a second time filtering. Then I make sure the temp is 180-190 and can.