PDA

View Full Version : Question for Dr. Perkins

buxtonboiler
05-02-2010, 11:43 PM
I was wondering what you think of a cleaning product called "Simple Green". It is enviro friendly and completely non-toxic. I use it on my coffee pot. Was wondering if it is safe for cleaning my storage barrels. Also wondering your thoughts on storing tanks in the off season with baking soda sprinkled inside to prevent any off smells. Thanks.

DrTimPerkins
05-03-2010, 06:34 AM
I was wondering what you think of a cleaning product called "Simple Green". It is enviro friendly and completely non-toxic. I use it on my coffee pot. Was wondering if it is safe for cleaning my storage barrels. Also wondering your thoughts on storing tanks in the off season with baking soda sprinkled inside to prevent any off smells. Thanks.

Although it is USDA certified as a cleaner in some categories, this product does not have the highest certification due (primarily) due to its scent.

They do have an industrial cleaner with no colorants or fragrance added that is probably more suitable, although please don't consider this an endorsement in any way.

Whether this product is actually environmentally friendly is disputed by some. I've not looked into it enough to render my own opinion.

3rdgen.maple
05-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Well Im not Dr.Tim but I will say I use the stuff to clean printing equipment before I rebuild them for resale and the stuff works great but I would be pretty scared to use it on food contact. If I dont or my employees don't wear rubber gloves when using this stuff it eats away at the skin on your hands. Slight contact is okay but when we are using it for an extensive period of time say goodbye to a few layers of skin without proper protection. And yes eye protection is highly recomended also.

DrTimPerkins
05-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Well Im not Dr.Tim but I will say I use the stuff to clean printing equipment before I rebuild them for resale and the stuff works great but I would be pretty scared to use it on food contact. If I dont or my employees don't wear rubber gloves when using this stuff it eats away at the skin on your hands. Slight contact is okay but when we are using it for an extensive period of time say goodbye to a few layers of skin without proper protection. And yes eye protection is highly recomended also.

Absolutely.....any cleaner should be used only after reading the instructions, after taking necessary precautions, and using the proper personal protective equipment. Further, after using any type of cleanser/sanitizer the items cleaned should be RINSED THOROUGHLY several times before using. Again...I'm not suggesting anyone use this product, or endorsing it in any way.

The thing we use for the majority of our cleaning...hot water.

farmall h
05-03-2010, 08:38 PM
The thing we use for the majority of our cleaning...hot water.

Hot water, hot water rinse and rinse again...with hot water.:)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Can't beat the good old blue dawn detergent. You can get a nice size bottle for $ 1 @ the Dollar stores. No worries about it as I have been using it for many years.

farmall h
05-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Can't beat the good old blue dawn detergent. You can get a nice size bottle for $ 1 @ the Dollar stores. No worries about it as I have been using it for many years.

I use the powdered detergent from our milkroom...but don't tell Dr. Perkins.;)

DrTimPerkins
05-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Can't beat the good old blue dawn detergent.

I use the powdered detergent from our milkroom.

Both of these products work, however both are made primarily to disperse grease (fats and oils), which just aren't found in maple.

If you use these things, just be sure to rinse, rinse, rinse and then rinse some more to get out as much residue as you can. Almost all soaps will leave some small amount of film behind, although there are some specialized food-type cleaners that will leave much less.

The second thing to be careful about in these household cleaner type products....strong scents. You want to use the unscented versions if you can.

It takes surprisingly little soap to make nasty-tasting syrup.

802maple
05-04-2010, 07:46 AM
After spoiling a bunch of syrup 1 year many moons ago, when I thought I had rinsed enough to get all the soap out, I will never use anything other than good hot water ever again. When you have to dump a couple barrels just once, you will understand just like I do now.

TF Maple
05-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Soft water will rinse soap away a lot better than hard water will. Try out this test if you want to discover the difference. Wash both hands in Dove soap and rinse one in hard water and the other in soft water. Then lick the softwater rinsed hand with your tongue and you will hardly taste any soap. Then lick the hard water rinsed hand and be ready for a nasty taste in your mouth. I had an Uncle selling water softeners that demonstrated this.

DrTimPerkins
05-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Then lick the hard water rinsed hand and be ready for a nasty taste in your mouth.

Was that from the taste of the soap or just that your hand tasted bad? :lol:

Sorry....couldn't resist.

Some of the funniest questions/comments we ever get from maple producers goes something like, "you know that stuff that collects around the _____ of the _____? Did you ever taste that? It's real nasty."

TF Maple
05-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Some of the funniest questions/comments we ever get from maple producers goes something like, "you know that stuff that collects around the _____ of the _____? Did you ever taste that? It's real nasty."

Yes, sometimes you have to wonder why people would even try tasting some stuff.

I guess they use Dove soap for 2 reasons, it is 99% pure soap and it sure is bitter tasting.:lol:

Haynes Forest Products
05-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Thats what my mom used to brush my teeth when I got caught mouthing off. You wont find me licking my hand.....I dont know where its been:emb:

farmall h
05-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Dr. Tim, the powdered soap from the milkroom is designed solely for stainless steel bulk tanks, milking machines etc. It does suds up quite a bit therefore you have to use a rinsing agent as well. I wouldn't recommend anybody going out and buying some unless of course your washing lots of stainless tanks. We use it 'cause we have an operating dairy...1 cup goes a long way.:)