PDA

View Full Version : pump ????

wanting to get into it
05-02-2010, 09:02 PM
I know this has been asked before. I searched what I want to know, but my answer was not completely found. Thomas dual head diaphragm pumps, found some that pull anywhere from 25" to 30". Question is will this work? I can't find anywhere the cfm ratings on these pumps. I wanted to know that based on how many taps it would be capable of handling. With the diaphragm pumps you don't need a releaser? correct?

Haynes Forest Products
05-03-2010, 12:05 AM
If there the type that came out of Oxygen generators they are small for what you want. They are good for pond airators or making vacuum presses for laminate gluing. As far as the vacuum pump is concerned it doesnt matter what type of pump you use you still need a releaser or vacuum tank:cry:

3rdgen.maple
05-03-2010, 10:11 AM
They are also used as puffers on xerox printers to blow the sheet off the rollers. Way to small Im thinking and not made to suck moisture through them. If it is the one I am thinking anyways. I have about 6 of them on the parts shelf. Tried to blow up a tractor tire with one years ago and it worked just took about 9 hours to do it.

wanting to get into it
05-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks guys. Reading previous posts, you two seem to know your pumps. Now the question is, what is a good pump to be looking for? I would like to go the inexpensive route at all possible at least until I somewhat think I know what I am doing with vacuum. Thanks again!!!

DrTimPerkins
05-03-2010, 07:00 PM
I know this has been asked before. I searched what I want to know, but my answer was not completely found. Thomas dual head diaphragm pumps, found some that pull anywhere from 25" to 30". Question is will this work? I can't find anywhere the cfm ratings on these pumps. I wanted to know that based on how many taps it would be capable of handling. With the diaphragm pumps you don't need a releaser? correct?

Not familiar with that pump. More common in maple is the "Sap Puller". It is a diaphram pump. Will pull about 20-24" Hg maximum on a very tight system, but like any diaphragm pump, is very intolerant of leaks (diaphram pumps move very little CFMs of air). More likely you'll see 15-20" depending upon how good you are at chasing down leaks. They work better when the sap is running a little.

You do not need a releaser with a diaphragm pump.

The pump will also pump sap uphill a little bit.

We actually will have 2 (maybe 3) of these on consignment at the Bascomb Open House this weekend. All are electric models. One is a 200E (used for about 5-6 years) and one is a 400E (used only 3-4 yrs). The third is also a 200E, but needs a little work (nothing serious, but needs a part to be fixed). All should probably get new diaphragms since they've been sitting around the basement for a few years and these will dry-rot some. We typically replaced them every year or two (more often than probably needed). They worked fine for us, until we outgrew them and wanted some real serious vacuum.

Operationally the only other thing is that you want to make sure that sap doesn't freeze in them. Either install them on a bit of an angle, or tilt them up when you shut them off before it freezes at night.

We'll also have an Airblo Flood Pump at Bascombs on consignment. Used for 7 yrs. Replacing only because we're trying to standardize our pump setups so they're all the same for ease of operation and so we can have spares around for just one type of system.

Finally...we've also got an old GAST vacuum pump for sale. That will not be at Bascombs however. If anyone is interested in that, they should contact me via PM.

Haynes Forest Products
05-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Dr perkins Dont you mean you dont need a releaser with the liquid type diaphragm pumps ( sap suckers) Or wet head pumps? They are more of a liquid pump that creates vacuum as it pumps the sap.

DrTimPerkins
05-04-2010, 06:22 AM
Dr perkins Dont you mean you dont need a releaser with the liquid type diaphragm pumps ( sap suckers) Or wet head pumps? They are more of a liquid pump that creates vacuum as it pumps the sap.

The Sap Puller is a diaphram pump (although I've seen some people on this list refer to it as a Sap Sucker....the actual name is of any machine I've seen of this type made for maple use is "Sap Puller").

I believe the Sap Sucker is a peristaltic pump. It uses a series of rollers to pump liquid, but will also generate a vacuum.

Both work far better when the inner workings (tubing or diaphragm) are wet. But it doesn't take much liquid at all.

Both of these will generate a decent vacuum, but move very little CFM air. So you need to be very agressive about fixing leaks, otherwise you'll have little vacuum at all at the tree.

Neither of these pumps require a releaser.