PDA

View Full Version : vac pump muffler

markct
05-02-2010, 02:55 PM
what do you guys use for mufflers on your vac pumps? i have a 1 1/2 hp gast dry vane pump that will be next years vac pump, but man is it noisy with just a straight pipe! was thinking about putting on a small engine muffler or maybe a bigger car or tractor muffler, any thoughts?

Haynes Forest Products
05-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Have you looked at the ones on Ebay they are a glass jar with filter to catch the dust from the vanes (not alot of dust) They work great. The muffler doesnt have to be that big to work. I have some muffers and they are full flow with no restriction. If you wanted you could make one out of PVC. Take a 4" X 24" peice and plumb it down to 1" on one side and 1/1 1/4 on the exit side and run a peice of high heat flex hose (NAPA) Pack it with steel wool. Cheap

markct
05-02-2010, 05:13 PM
well im not too concerned about the minute dust from the vanes as the pump will be out in a small shed, cant be as bad as the oil mist from the old pump! i just need to cut it down a bit on noise, when i had it run in the sugarhouse to try it out with my releaser my father came outa the house to find out what the loud racket was!

Haynes Forest Products
05-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Mine still makes noise with the glass jars muffler. From 50ft away in my truck I have to roll down the window to hear it. I like some nois so when I drive up in the dark I can hear it running from the road.

markct
05-02-2010, 07:55 PM
yea that would be a tolerable level i think, its gona be at the shop where we have power and then vac lines running to where they need to go. so being that the shop is about 150 ft from the house i need it to be semi quiet, atleast that time of year the windows are closed etc so a bit of noise is acceptable. maybe i will first try a small end muffler and see what it does, it screws right on the pipe outlet and i have a few around so might as well try i guess

brookledge
05-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Both of my pumps have mufflers on them. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that they don't restrict the flow. Doing so and it will overheat. You can get amuffler with pipe thread end on it. The oulet usually has arubber flap on it to prevent the pump from running backwards when you shut it off.
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
05-03-2010, 12:08 AM
I just saw some Gast mufflers on Ebay under vacuum pumps 3 of them:)

red maples
05-03-2010, 10:32 AM
what about a homemade reclaimer type muffler.

take a 5 gallon can(just like the 5 gallon epoxy cans). and fill it with a heavier gauge steel wool. or run a piece of curved perferated pipe through it and pack steel wool around it should work right. just alike a real muffler but super cheap!!!

just an idea