70 Buick
05-01-2010, 04:43 PM
This year was my first year
I had picked up an old wood stove put it in the yard 7 off we went
nothing like some of your setups LOL
For next year I am going to try & make a barrel evaporator
Now for the pans
I have been looking around they are expensive for sure
I have found some nice stainless steel steam pans at used restaurant equipment stores
can they be used?, if not why
I was wondering about the thickness of them and thought perhaps they wouldn't be thick enough

Thanks for all comments

Ausable
05-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Hey 70 Buick - If you poke around on this site - You will find some of the guys are using them and one had several pictures of his setup - just can't remember who it was. My Son gave me a deep stainless steam table pan early this year - the kind with the lip on them - and he welded a 3/4' female pipe thread for a drain valve for me. haven't made up my mind if I'll use it for a finishing pan or for a preheater on the evaporator.
One of the guys on this site had a block arch and had five pans in a row supported by the lips of the pans between the blocks and if remember was thinking on inter-connecting them like on a large evaporator.
They should work just fine ------ Mike

KenWP
05-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Okay 70 where did you find them in this province and whats the price or combein seule coute. If they are thick enough for a resturant they are more then thick enough for a evaporator. You don't want to heavy of metal as it cuts down heat transfer.

70 Buick
05-02-2010, 05:18 AM
Not sure of the name Ken I was in Montreal East last week
I happened to see a used restaurant equipment store went in and asked
I think they were 14 1/2 x 10 1/2 and 3 or 4 inches deep
I believe he wanted like 20.00 each
I have since looked on ebay & found some as deep as 6 inches
people are asking 20.00 or less for 4 of them
but they guy I found will not ship to Canada
I will try to find the place this week, when I do I will let you know

MartinP
05-02-2010, 05:59 PM
You can get steam table pans at Sams Club for 25.00 a pair.

Ausable
05-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks Martin -- How deep are they?

buxtonboiler
05-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I have 2 used steam table pans that I boiled on for 2 seasons. I made about 4 gallons with them per season. Worked great.

MartinP
05-03-2010, 05:54 AM
They are close to 4" Deep. Another place is expar in Muskegon, they have use resturant equipment.

RileySugarbush
05-03-2010, 07:59 AM
It's best to use the 6" deep pans to prevent splash out. These pans are great for a starter system when used in a simple block arch.

marky the mapler
05-05-2010, 12:05 PM
I dont know if you care about quality or time, but if you do at all the kitchen pan thing is a mistake. I would highly recommend buying a small flat pan for a couple hundred bucks. It will last for years, and it is resellable when your ready to upgrade. Check out wegnermetalworks (http://wegnermetalworks.com)...Andy is an awesome guy. He shipped a ton of pans to Canada this year.