PDA

View Full Version : Price per Tap

220 maple
05-01-2010, 06:54 AM
I'm curious did anyone who rents trees pay more per tap than me. My lease is on a precentage basis therefore the more I make equals to the more I have to pay the landowner per tap. This first year of are 5 year lease I paid $1.60 per tap.

Mark 220 Maple

Dennis H.
05-01-2010, 08:13 AM
I am in the process of getting a lease on a bunch of trees that are 1/2 mile from the sugarhouse. So I am curious what others are paying also.

My thoughts on it is if they are really nice and close by and you want to keep the trees then I would be willing to get a little more. Also if the lease allows tubing that can be left up the entire lease that would be worth a little more.

Father & Son
05-02-2010, 04:30 AM
$1.60 per tap seems high to me. I guess it would depend on the woods and how bad you wanted or needed it. Alot of the producers I know around here that trade syrup for payment have worked it out to 1 gallon of syrup per 100 taps (.40 or .50 cents/tap). I would go alittle higher depending on the situation.

Jim

brookledge
05-02-2010, 08:51 PM
That seems high to me also but the bottom line is what it is worth to you. Do you have others in your area that would be interested in them if you didn't pay that much. I pay .50/tap
keith

220 maple
05-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm the only syrup maker with in 40 miles. I get five gallons out of every 6. They ended up with 45 gallons which I sold wholesale at 2.80 a pound. The lease requires that their syrup be sold wholesale. I tried to get the highest price because I sold some of my syrup wholesale also. Only had 864 taps on their property. If I would have made half a gallon of syrup per tap hole. I would of gladly paid them 2.60 per tap hole if the trees would have producer more.

Mark 220 Maple

maple flats
05-03-2010, 04:28 PM
I paid $.50/tap this year, $.45/tap last year. This is regardless of how much syrup I make. This hurt a little this year but usually is good. The landowner is happy with the arrangement. I pay it in syrup at my prevailing price for as much syrup as they want and the rest is in a check. This year most is in a check just because I had so little syrup.