PDA

View Full Version : Delco-Heat GM oil Burner

jasonl6
04-28-2010, 01:37 PM
New to the board couldn't find anything on this. I Currently have a 3X8 king arch that I fire with wood. Last weekend i was at an auction and bought a bunch of lines, glass milk releaser and some other sappin' stuff. One of the things i got was this Delco Heat General motors corp oil burner. I cleaned it up and put a 14/3 extension cord on it and she fired right up (the fan and it pumped out the remaining oil from the oil filter. However no spark. I checked the transformer and cleaned the contacts but still no go. I used and OHM meter and i have resitance but really have know idea how much it should have. Anyone know if i can get a new transformer for this (are they a generic item thats interchangeable)? Also the wires on the transformer are both black. I hooked on to netural the other to power. I'm not sure if it maters which is hooked were.

The Id tag has this info

Delco heat
General Motors Corp
Service # 5094352
Model H-200

thanks for any help.
Jason

highroadsyrup
04-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Jason - the Delco burner takes a Multiformer as a replacement transformer.
Check with your local oil service company -- they might even have one in stock. This is a generic part that fits many older oil burners. You do realize that your efficiency will be lower on the unit since the Delco burner only turns 1725 rpm instead of 3450.

jasonl6
04-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Nope didn't realize that. Well like i said picked this thing up at an auction. What i didn't disclose was the price. I paid $1 for it (plus tax and buyers premium). I have no intent to get away from wood as i have all i need for free and the cutting is a bi-product of my work. I thought if i could get this thing working maybe i could use it as a backup someday or if i ever wanted to switch to oil.

Thanks for the info :-) Knew somone would know. Any way to change the rpm? :mrgreen:

highroadsyrup
04-28-2010, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't advise it. The burner was designed for that rpm, any change would add more air to the end cone -- probably would burn it up.

Haynes Forest Products
04-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Guy in The County has a 6x16 rig and he runs 2 of the oldest oil burners I ever saw. They look like old hair dryers and they are 1725 rpms and they are quiet and run hot as heck. My Beckett is like a jet engine.