PDA

View Full Version : Leader vs Patrick Phaneuf 2x4

BHMC
04-27-2010, 07:58 PM
I have a 2x4 Leader Arch with a Vermont Pan. I want to replace it with a new stainless set up. I have looked at the Leader WSE and the Phaneuf Pro Deluxe 2x4 pans. WSE is a drop and Phaneuf can do a raised flu or drop. I like the idea of the raised flu in a smaller fire box. I have read that they both have and evap rate of 25 to 30 gph. Is there a difference in the quality of the two pans. It seems that the WSE is on Leader's economy side and I don't know if it stands with the Phaneuf 2x4. has anyone seen them side by side and looked at the quality, fit and finish of each. Price is equal...running between 100 to 200 taps -Thanks!

heus
04-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Im speaking from the perspective of a 2x6, but from what Ive seen and heard there is no comparison. I think the Phaneuf is rock solid with deeper flues, taller pans, etc. The WSE is a step down from the Phaneuf I would say. I could be wrong though, because Ive never seen them side by side. With the lower price of the Phaneuf you have to be VERY patient when waiting for it to be delivered.

johnallin
04-27-2010, 09:14 PM
I have a Leader Patriot 2x6 raised flue evaporator - not sure if it's available in a 2x4 though. It's very well made and was ready when they said it would be.

Not knowing Patrick at all, but hearing some of the stories of long waits, you may want to see if the savings is worth the possibility of a long drawn out delivery. Leader, as you probably know, is also very easy to reach in the event you have a question or problem.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck in your search.

heus
04-27-2010, 09:23 PM
John, Very true regarding Leader and dealer service. With a Phaneuf I think you could be pretty much on your own as far as repair service.
However I think we are comparing apples and oranges. I think the Phaneuf in a 2x6 would probably compare more to your Patriot than the WSE.

JohnsSugarShack
04-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Definitely agree with heus. I compared the Leader 2x6 patriot to the 2x6 Phaneuf Deluxe. I was already to order a Phaneuf because I thought the quality was exceptional. I did talk to Patrick on the phone and through e-mail and he seemed to be a very nice gentleman. But after reading some of the comments on the trader I got gun shy and ended up getting the Leader which I'm very happy with. If you decide to get a Phaneuf just give him plenty of time to build and deliver it. Just my 2 cents.:)

3rdgen.maple
04-28-2010, 12:13 AM
The WSE series is no comparison at all to Patricks pans. I looked hard and long and got the phanuef for a reason and it was not about saving some cash. It just worked out that way.

BHMC
04-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the advice - I would also like your thoughts on the WF Mason 2x4 Raised Flu...along with the Phanuef and Leader. It seems like Bill Mason makes quality functional and affordable equipment.