PDA

View Full Version : Filter Press minimum temperature

Teuchtar
04-26-2010, 09:36 PM
I batched up my syrup this year, leaving it for a final filtering at the season end. This weekend I got the new-to-me press running and wow can that thing polish the syrup nicely.
I processed a ton of syrup in several batches while learning how to blow holes in the paper ( watch the pressure ! ). I kept the temperature at 180 - 190 in order not to cook the syrup excessively more.
On the last batch, the syrup was just trickling through real slow, and I was concerned that maybe I wasn't hot-packing into the drum high enough temp. So I checked it and found I only had 165 deg in the drum. Looks like I lost about 20 deg through the press and hoses.
Should I be thinking about re-packing that last drum, or do you think the Filter Press Angel was on my side ? I have deliberately not said evil things about filter presses hoping not to get invaded by unwanted growths at less than 180.
Anybody else running 180 syrup into the press ?
The NAMSPA recommends 180 to 200 inlet, which seems a little on the low side if we're to hot-pack at 180 in the drum.
In future, I'd better keep the suction line at 200 deg, and use a bit more DE to help the flow go better/faster/hotter.

brookledge
04-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Most times when I'm running my press I will heat the syrup to about 200 then run it through the press and into another canner to bring the temp back up so I can then hot pack it. It is amazing how much the temp has dropped on the syrup as it comes out of the press. Basicly it is a big hunk of metal that is room temp may be 40 degrees. So it takes a lot of syrup to get the press up to temp. I know some say they have no problems putting syrup into bulk containers when the syrup is below 180. For me I'm set up to boost the temp back up if needed. I don't want to have a keg ferment on me.
I know some producers who have had it ferment on them and have also seen drums at Bascom's that were pushed out so much from fermenting that the barrel would hardly stand up
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
04-27-2010, 01:23 AM
I have always recirculated the syrup thru the press for a bit to get things up and hot AND clear then switch over to packing. Mine is a short bank 7" but never had an issue with it cooling down during the filtering prosess. Is your press Cast iron? If so heat the plates up in hot water before you start the filtering. It should only take a few gallons to get it up to temp. I cant see how if your packing a barrel that it cooled the syrup and then droped off in temp.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-27-2010, 08:51 PM
I run my syrup thru the press boiling hot and into a cold canner and sitting in the cold canner 5 or so minutes until I get all the syrup ran thru, it is still usually around 180 in the canner.

Russell Lampron
04-28-2010, 05:32 AM
My Wes Fab Manual says to heat the syrup to at least 195 before running it through the press. My press has a hand pump so I get it up to 210 before I pump it through. I'm not having any problems with cloudy syrup so it is cooling fast enough to not produce more nitre after it is filtered.