PDA

View Full Version : New Sugarshack

Paddymountain
04-26-2010, 08:13 PM
We've got a good start on our new sugarshack.You can look at it in my photobucket site(finally figured it out) It's going to be 12x16 ,8ft to the square and 8/12 pitch roof ,also will have a 6x16 leanto attached for wood
and head tank. I had some 2x2 pavers from a patio that I'm using for the floor.
Hope to get the rest of the rafters up and work on the cupola this weekend.
We are also using hemlock siding.I'm also going to spring for 18inch strap hinges on the front doors,it will be 2 three footers with the one pinned so that if you need 6 ft of opening to get an evaporator in or out there wiil be plenty of room.

waysidemaple
04-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Its coming along nicely and looks great. Have fun with it. I just leveld the area for my new shack this passed weeked. Plan to pour the footings this coming weekend.

Haynes Forest Products
04-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Paddy Looks good. Do you have the required amount of OSHA approved cross bracing to be doing the roof:rolleyes: Its good to see the tractor coverd up and the family car out in the weather:lol:

Paddymountain
04-27-2010, 07:04 AM
I have a leaf permit. when the leaves are out I build

Turtlecreek
05-16-2010, 08:31 AM
When your done with that one how about running over here and starting on one for me? I want to keep mine a bit smaller to avoid any permits, where I want to put mine is in a field so the leaf permit will be void.

If I get out that way for fishing maybe I'll stop in. I know I always threaten to stop in but never do.

Oh and if you do want to build mine I'll trade some syrup for it hahaha.

Steve

Dennis H.
05-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Looking good PaddyMtn. keep us posted with lots of pic's on the progress.

Randy Brutkoski
05-16-2010, 08:21 PM
I will be starting mine very soon as well. Need to cut a couple more trees and need to get stumps pulled. It is going to be 24x24. Hopefully there will be a 4x14 force 5 in it before next season.

Paddymountain
05-16-2010, 09:00 PM
I am almost ready for the roof ,I have all the nailers up I just need to get the facia and gable trim up first. hopefully till the weekend I'll have some tin on,
then I'll post a few more pictures

Paddymountain
05-30-2010, 03:41 PM
Worked all yesterday and got all the roof on but one sheet. I thought I had enough slate color,but one was charcoal. I'll have to order one more on Tues.
Tomorrow I want to get the vent doors made for the cupola and put some siding on. I also need to get two pieces of flashing bent for the cupola.
Also,yesterday sold the last of our syrup! Amazing, sold syrup to people from
New York,New Jersey, Nebraska, Kansas,Alaska,and one man was sending some to California. I love to meet and talk to people about the whole maple process. By the way I posted new pictures on photobucket,I can't figure out how to show them here on this post

TF Maple
05-30-2010, 10:39 PM
When you are in a thread and replying or quoting scroll down to where you see "manage attachments" and click on it. The next window will come up where you can browse to your pictures on your computer. Select one and then hit upload. If it isn't over 97 KB it will upload and you can do another one until you have the all loaded. Type your message and submit. If you have trouble with picture size I have instructions for using Picasa 3 in another thread to make pictures smaller.

Paddymountain
07-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Our new Sugar shack is coming along,have the roof and all the cupola done
siding on the leanto side, and door done. Everthing is studded out ready for siding. been too hot to really get into it. I have a few new pics on photobucket. I took a little time and made a good old fashioned door latch;
check it out!

Paddymountain
08-10-2010, 07:25 PM
I have just about got my sugars shack done. I need to put up 10 more batten strips above 2 windows ,paint the inside of the windows,and build the 2 doors for the front. it's been a long hot summer at it, I guess old age is starting to rear it's ugly head. I'm not building the doors til after Labor Day, I want the lumber to dry a little more. I have 2 new pictures on photobucket
to show the progress. I need to walk out in the brush and take some pictures of the west, and southwest side, to show the windows.

Paddymountain
09-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Got the evaporater moved in today! now I need to get a roof jack made, and buy some insulation board ,and rebrick. I'm going to wait til next week to build my front doors. I need a break I've been cutting,splitting and stacking firewood for the last week. today wasn't bad ,but last week in the 90 degree heat took the wind out of my sails!!! 2 new pictures on photobucket.

lastwoodsman
09-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Paddyshack:
Boy that shack looks great. It is fun watching you progress. It looks about the smae size as mine. What are the demensions?
Keep up the great work!
Woodsman

lastwoodsman
09-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Paddyshack:
Boy that shack looks great. It is fun watching you progress. It looks about the same size as mine. What are the demensions?
Keep up the great work!
Woodsman

Paddymountain
09-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Its 12x16 with a 6x16 leanto for firewood and head tank. It has been progressing well ,but it was a long hot summer working on it. I just got off the phone ordering block insulation for the evaporater. Also my wire and boxes,fixtures ,etc should be here soon(son works for electrical supply business) It's gonna be a real treat boiling maple syrup next spring!

Sugarmaker
09-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Paddy,
Very nice sugar house! You and the boys will have many years of enjoyment making syrup!
Regards,
Chris

lastwoodsman
09-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Paddy
What kind of wood do you use for the board and bat siding in your neck of the woods?
Gotta admit it sure is nice to be through that hot summer and have some frosty mornings again.
It is fun to see how others are doing the same thing around the country.
Bow season opens this week-end and the deer are like flies. Mostly watch'em early season. Some grilled tenderloins sound good basted in maple syrup!!

Woodsman

steve J
09-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Bow does not open here until Oct 2nd but I saw a picture today of a bear shot with a bow up in Danforth Maine last week that weighed over 600 lbs.

Paddymountain
09-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Here's a picture of our sugarshack with the first lights on! Just got finished with some of the wiring,need some more wire and romex connecters to finish up.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Looks good and nice shelves on the wall with this time of framing.

western mainer
09-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Looks good, you have put a lot of work into it.
Brian

Revi
09-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Beautiful sugarhouse! Congratulations!