PDA

View Full Version : CDLDallire why so cheap?

thenewguy
04-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Ive currently been looking for a new evaporator. The one im looking at is a CDL 2.5x10. Brand new this evaporator comes with everything except fire brick (includes stack, thermoter, roof jack etc). But the the price is around 2000 cheaper then a lapierre and 5000 cheaper the a DG. What gives? Are CDL evaporators descent? has anyone noticed this, am I wasting my money buying a CDL?? Why are the other manufactures so much more expensive?? thoughts?? thanks..also the 2.5x10 is the deluxe model, all stainless...how can it be so much cheaper

ELM_DALE_MAPLE
04-26-2010, 06:25 AM
I've wondered the same thing but in my opinion Dallaire are the nicest looking set of pans out there. I've heard dealers say their stainless isn't as good as say Leader but you can get good life out of them if taken care of well. Thats just what I've heard hangin around supply stores.

802maple
04-26-2010, 06:37 AM
I have boiled with all of the brands and owned a good share of them. I would never buy anything but a CDL or Lapierre.

NH Maplemaker
04-26-2010, 07:12 AM
I have ran an oiled fired Dallaire since 2002 and I'm very happy with it! I have nothing to say but good things! The metal work is flawless,float system works perfectly,and it has held up very well. I would'nt be afraid to buy one again! Jim L.

PS. I beleave the Maple Guys are running a sale Right now and the are a CDL dealer!!

Haynes Forest Products
04-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Im happy to read the replys because I had my Lapierre Small bros copied by CDL and I havent seen them yet. I sent them a burnt pan and within 2 weeks they had them out the door and diliverd to a friend. Cost was good and I was able to get some custom changes to the draw offs. They were very willing to do changes and reconfigure them Great to work with...............and they speak English;)

sapsucker78
04-26-2010, 10:39 AM
I bought a new 30"x10' CDL intensofire last year after shopping around and finding the same price difference. I am very happy with it and don't regret the move. I have been very impressed with the quality of this product and recomend it to anyone!:D

Amber Gold
04-26-2010, 11:15 AM
With the increase in maple equipment since early 2000's (increasing faster than material costs and inflation) it's probably more that CDL is willing to not mark up their products 200%, making a killing on everything.

DrTimPerkins
04-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Why are the other manufactures so much more expensive?

We've used both Leader Evaporator and CDL Dallaire equipment in our research and production facilities. Both are very good for fit and finish and operation. From what I've seen Lapierre and D&G also make very nice evaporators.

One difference in price among the different manufacturers (that not many people may notice) is in the fittings. Some companies will use only SS fittings. Some use plated brass fittings. When you add up the cost of all the fittings used, especially on the rigs with larger diameter fittings, the difference in price between SS and brass can be quite substantial.

As in many things, it often comes down to which style of evaporator you like (reverse-flow or cross-flow) and who your closest dealer is.

Haynes Forest Products
04-26-2010, 06:32 PM
All my fittings on my Lapierre Small Bros are SS but Im thinking the ball valves are plated brass....MMMMMMMMM

sapsucker78
04-26-2010, 09:31 PM
CDL does use plated valves, however I have a wholesale account with a distibuter that I could get all the valves on my CDL replaced to stainless for under $250.00. I really don't have a problem with the plated ones, so far they have worked well and stayed looking good! CDL does make the arch sides, stack, and hoods all in stainless though which has to cost more then the stainless valves?::rolleyes:

wanting to get into it
04-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Just saw on their web site that they will be moving and are offering 20% off of various items. Tubing, mainline, fittings, glass and plastic jugs, seasonal items etc. I wish I could make it up there. That is a good deal. I always like saving $$$$

DrTimPerkins
04-27-2010, 06:25 AM
CDL does use plated valves, however I have a wholesale account with a distibuter that I could get all the valves on my CDL replaced to stainless for under $250.00. I really don't have a problem with the plated ones, so far they have worked well and stayed looking good! CDL does make the arch sides, stack, and hoods all in stainless though which has to cost more then the stainless valves?::rolleyes:

The SS arch/sides do look very nice and are easy in terms of maintenance. Flat stock, which the manufacturers buy in very large quantities, is very cheap compared to fittings and valves though. We asked about changing over to all SS valves and were given a price of just under $1,000 for a 3' x 10' evaporator.

Having plated valves doesn't pose any real problem...but it is something most people wouldn't really notice on casual inspection. The question that was asked was why the price difference.....this is at least part of it.

sugartree310
04-27-2010, 07:57 AM
We bought a 3 X 10 intensofire last year and we really like it. The price was a big part of the reason we went with this rig. Efficiency was another part. stainless steel from top to bottom you need sunglasses when you enter the sugarhouse.

lmathews
04-27-2010, 09:07 AM
When I bought my 3x12 5 yrs ago it came standard with all ss valves.Only thing that was asked was do I want ss arch or galv.Price for the arch diff was app $500.00 so I went with all ss.I priced all avap. and they were the cheapest by a big margin.I tried to see if any of the other manufacturers would come close or match and D&G was the closest at $900.00 more.I like my CDL and will more than likely get another some day.

red maples
04-27-2010, 10:10 AM
thats why I asked about the difference in price vs Dalliere ss storage tanks and leader ss tanks the price difference is remarkable.

sapman
04-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Do all of you with cross-flow pans really like them? vs reverse-flow? Reverse seems to make more sense, with less down time, in theory. 802, would reversing the flow, assuming you had that option on your big rig back when, take care of the scale, or is it not effective enough, and still require down time to clean?

Thanks,
Tim

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Tim,
I got new cross flow pans for my evaporator this year. I had always had reverse flow. Bottom line is I would not go back. I got an extra pan so that I just switch the front pan each morning before I start up and let the other soak in permeate water until the next morning. I check it early to make sure all the scale is loose, if it isn't, I add a cup of white vinegar for an hour or so and it comes out crystal clean. I never had such nice looking front pans at the end of the season and everything boiled much easier.
Doug

sapsucker78
04-27-2010, 09:54 PM
Tim,
I got new cross flow pans for my evaporator this year. I had always had reverse flow. Bottom line is I would not go back. I got an extra pan so that I just switch the front pan each morning before I start up and let the other soak in permeate water until the next morning. I check it early to make sure all the scale is loose, if it isn't, I add a cup of white vinegar for an hour or so and it comes out crystal clean. I never had such nice looking front pans at the end of the season and everything boiled much easier.
Doug

Like I said earlier I got a new rig like this for this year too. My feelings on the matter are exactly like Thompson's.
I had a leader with reverse flow pans befor this and going to cross flow pans seemed like a hard change to make when thats what I was used to. It would be harder to go back to reverse flow now!!! I do recommend getting a extra syrup pan though so you can switch pans and clean one while you are boiling with the other as Thompson explained. Another thing of intrest might be the improvement in wood consuption. This year with an ave. sugar content of 2.8 I made 40 gal of syrup on one cord of wood with no preheater or RO! my old leader standerd arch rig only made 20 gal per cord with the same conditions!

802maple
04-28-2010, 08:32 AM
I have had large and small rigs both ways, I wouldn't go backwards to a reverse flow on a bet. I know alot of sugarmakers say that it takes a lot of time to switch one out and you have a good amount of down time. Typically i was like Thompson and didn't have to switch during the day, but if I did I never let the fire down and switched at nearly full bore as far as the fire was concerned, I would just shut down the blower. If you have everything ready you can switch these things out from beginning to end in 3 to 4 minutes from the time you start disconnecting until you are at full boil again. I believe I could switch them out quicker than I can switch sides and not nearly as much chance of burning myself.

802maple
04-28-2010, 08:34 AM
And to answer whether my pans were cleaner in the end because of getting rid of the nitre that was stuck to them, hell yes

802maple
04-28-2010, 08:36 AM
And here I go again, I had to throw my scoop out because it is no longer needed because I don't make syrup in the middle first.

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-28-2010, 10:46 AM
When I asked for Jerry's input last year before I purchased the pans, you'll never guess what his recommendation was:lol:

kiegscustoms
04-29-2010, 09:31 AM
I am also looking to go from reverse flow to cross flow. From reading this thread I have heard a lot of good things about CDL Dallaire. I was wondering with a wood fired high efficency arch (air over fire) would you want to turn your over air up and your under air down when switching pans during a boil, or just turn all the air off? Also when you switch pans how difficult is it to change your fittings out on the Dallaire rigs? I assume when you reverse the flow you have to change the draw off spout. Is this a threaded fitting or some kind of quick connect. I have never used cross flow pans so I may be asking stupid questions but you never learn anything unless you ask.
(Or try it and break stuff):)

sapman
05-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Just getting back to reading this thread. Been a busy few days.

I appreciate the input on cross-flows. Perhaps I will seriously consider them fairly soon, as my reverse flow has a warp spot from a burn a few years ago.

Doug, do you only have one front pan then? I thougt crossflow were always in series. And what in the design makes the crossflow better, if I might ask?

Thanks,
Tim

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-03-2010, 03:27 AM
Tim,
My front pan configuration is like this; (4x12 evaporator) there is one pan that is 2x4 that has the float box and connects to the back pan, this pan was left in place for the entire season. By seasons end there was some serious niter build up. If I get a day or 2 break in boiling in the future, I will drain and wash this pan. The "front" front pan is also 2x4 and is plumbed to the "back" front pan and has my draw off. I have 2 of these and these are the ones that I switch daily. Does this explanation make it "clear as mud?:)

802maple
05-03-2010, 06:37 AM
The main reason I like a crossflow better is due to the heat in the pans.

The front of a syrup pan is usually the coolest part of the syrup pan and the back the hotttest. Therefore in a reverseflow the syrup when going through the pan is always going from back to front to the coolest and then it turns around and goes back to the hottest and then back to the coolest. This makes the syrup hard to continue moving along and that is the main reason that syrup is getting made in the middle of the syrup pan first in them.

Now with a crossflow it will continually start working toward the front and doesn't go through as much of a heat variation change. I remember when I had a reverse flow I would always have to be concerned with syrup in the middle, but with crossflows i don't have any of those problems, so now my scoop is just a ornament on the wall.