PDA

View Full Version : setting up tubing

maplefarmer
04-25-2010, 08:10 PM
i would like to set up a tube line along the river, the trees are silver maples, will this work on tube, and i don't really understand the setting up of tubing with all the fittings and such, then theres the physics of how much grade does a line need and what size mainline do i need and how many taps can you put on a run, where do i get this info. or any directions on setting this up?

DrTimPerkins
04-25-2010, 08:18 PM
i would like to set up a tube line along the river, the trees are silver maples, will this work on tube, and i don't really understand the setting up of tubing with all the fittings and such, then theres the physics of how much grade does a line need and what size mainline do i need and how many taps can you put on a run, where do i get this info. or any directions on setting this up?

Good place to start would be getting a copy of the North American Maple Producer's Manual...available in a number of places. Just be sure to get the 2006 edition.

maple flats
04-25-2010, 08:22 PM
The best resource is The North American Maple Producers Manual, suplimented with answers from this site. There is no one way to put up line, every one is unique to the situation. If possible 4% slope is suggested for the main line and steeper for the laterals if possible. On the other end, some tubing systems have 2% or even less slope. 1%=1'/100' You might get some ideas just by listening to some suggestions and looking at the photo gallery of some members. Look in the maple catalogs for charts on taps per each size mainline but even better look at the chart in the manual mentioned above, it is based on slope. The most productive lines have vacuum and usually are a wet/dry line set up. If you will not have vacuum go just 1 line. Good luck.

brookledge
04-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Another idea is to look at another setup. I see you are from Indiana so I don't know if there is anyone else in your area but to see how it is done first hand will help a lot.
Keith

220 maple
04-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Because of your location a tubing seminar would probably be out of the question. My dealer in Pa. had one last fall on the last day of October. Brad from Leader Evaporator was the instructor. It payed off for me to attend that seminar. The dealer was planning on going to Ky. to set up a tubing system, the last time I visited him he said he might not need to go because the Amish family was looking into becoming a dealer for Leader. Brad will probably go lay out there tubing system. I don't know where you are located in Indiana but if your anywhere near them you would be well served to look their system over when they get it built. I can't remember if they are in Hopkinsville or Hendersonville ???? I will try to find out whats going on the next time I visit my dealer in Pa.

Mark 220 Maple

PerryW
04-26-2010, 11:18 AM
You could also look back though this section of MapleTrader.com and look through the threads. Once you get a general idea of a tubing system setup, you can post specific questions and get the answers quickly.

About how many taps are you talking?

Are you planning in Vacuum?

PerryW
04-26-2010, 11:19 AM
You could also look back though this section of MapleTrader.com (Tubing Installation) and look through the threads. Once you get a general idea of a tubing system setup, you can post specific questions and get the answers quickly.

About how many taps are you talking?

Are you planning in Vacuum?