PDA

View Full Version : mainline,tanks, vacuum

maplemaker
04-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Hello everyone had a terrible year 1/3 crop no vacuum so we have decided to expand.We just signed a ten year lease to tap approx 8000 taps(never been taped before) on 100 acres it is 2000' from the road.We are looking for advice on what size mainline up to the bush,what size tanks and what size vacuum there will be electric and there is plenty of slope and the tanks will be in one location.We have never used vacuum before so we want to do it right the first time.Any advice would be great.Thanks Melody and Brian

farmall h
04-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Maplemaker, best thing would be to have a conversation with who you purchase the releasers, pump, tanks, tubing, etc. from. I would think that with that sort of investment there would be no issue with the supplier to come for a site visit and give consultation on set up. 8000 taps, phew...quite an initial investment. You will want it done correctly and in a timely manner in order to start the pay down. Just my thoughts.

brookledge
04-21-2010, 08:10 PM
I would also recommend attending a open house or tubing seminar that discusses vac systems. I have been running vac. for over 25yrs and it is well worth it. Or you could look at another set up near you. The leader catalog has some basic info on sizing of main line and I believe the NAMSManual has the guide lines also.
Keith

ennismaple
04-21-2010, 09:48 PM
I understand Leader will come help you set up your bush. I'm not sure how much they charge but for the cost of tanks, releasers, tubing and mainlines you'll likely have enough money to spend on 8000 taps you might get their help for free!

Randy Brutkoski
04-21-2010, 10:06 PM
I wish I had $100,000 to spend. Spent $45000 this past year and the return sucked. The wrong year to spend money on a horrible season.Only got 9.5 gallons of sap per tap on vac. But it was more than anyone else around me. All of the guys on vac. around me only got half of what i got per tap. I am done whining.

jason grossman
04-22-2010, 02:21 PM
here is my 2 cents, always opt on the larger size , just not from the tanks and pump to the bush but also on the bush. As i have found doing installations many people will skimp on the materials to put out more taps so they have more taps than their nieghbors. If the larger material is too costly for the first year then only do half right, it is better than doing it all too small. ie my nieghbor has 9000 taps, i have 800 i made 1/4 of what he did. more taps doesn't always get you more sap.

maplecrest
04-22-2010, 04:13 PM
will have to agree with jason. bigger is not better. not until you can get 3200 to run at peak vac and volume. should you think bigger. i thought too big this year and ran in circles chasing my tail. too many mistakes were made.this year is just making those mistakes work right.and get the 1.1 #,s per tap i lost this year due to things i promised myself i would do a year ago.but no i had to add taps. those are the taps that cost me in lost production

ennismaple
04-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Some very good advice. I agree you should start with fewer taps and get it right and plan for yearly expansion as you have the time and money to extend your mainlines and put up more laterals. You'll thank yourself for being so smart later! Plan for success

I can't count the number of things in our bush I wish were done differently because they weren't completely thought through - some of which we only put up a few years ago!

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
04-22-2010, 07:53 PM
ennismaple
isnt hindsite = 20/20 vision

brookledge
04-22-2010, 07:57 PM
The one thing you didn't state was if you are going to put in all 8,000 at once or work your way up to it? Like the others said if you are going to do it in stages plan accordingly and start with the mainline being big enough to handle all 8K. And plan on about $10/ tap for set up without any $ for labor.
If you are going to hire anyone then add that in.
Keith

maplecrest
04-23-2010, 05:53 AM
keith the hardest part of hiring some is no one wants to work.

ennismaple
04-23-2010, 11:39 AM
We've found retired guys love to help out and make a little cash on the side! You can only golf and fish so long...

maplecrest
04-23-2010, 11:47 AM
martin i have plenty of help that way in the sugar house, but try to find someone to chase leaks that is worth what you need to pay them and good luck

ennismaple
04-26-2010, 01:26 PM
martin i have plenty of help that way in the sugar house, but try to find someone to chase leaks that is worth what you need to pay them and good luck

Agreed - but like a lot of things if you want it done right you sometimes need to do it yourself. I've seen guys check for leaks and if it wasn't a screeching hiss they didn't fix it. If everything is running smoothly I try to walk a part of the bush every day while I wait for enough sap to fire up. It keeps me from going crazy(er).

sapman
04-27-2010, 07:19 PM
I hear what you guys are saying about good help. As I mentioned once during the season, I'm blessed with a wife who "gets it", and actually enjoys the search for leaks. Black tape is her best friend during the season. Bad part is she works part-time, and has a ton of other responsibilities. After one of her walks thru the woods, the vacuum went up 3"!