PDA

View Full Version : Next time upside down

Brent
04-20-2010, 08:32 PM
I clean my tubing by pumping fresh water, then water with preservatives up from the bottom. In the process of doing it this year, after putting in about 400 or so new taps this year, I found several of my saddle manifolds leaking as the pressure built.

Geee, I'll bet they cost me a serious loss in vacuum over the season, and I never knew they were leaking.

Then it occurred to me the if the saddle fitting was on upside down, a leak would reveal itself by making a bubble stream that would be easy to spot.

Other than being awkward to drill, any reason not to do it this way ???

ennismaple
04-20-2010, 08:41 PM
The vacuum should transfer to the lateral better if it comes in at the top of the pipe. If some sap freezes in the upsidedown saddle manifold it could loosen it further - plus gravity will be pulling it out of the hole. The rubber gasket protruding into the bottom of the pipe will also interfere with sap flow whereas at the top of the pipe it's generally high and dry. Try it - I'd be interested to see how it works for you.

maple flats
04-20-2010, 09:35 PM
You would be better off checking the saddles with pressure on them and re tighten as needed but keep them on top as designed.

maplehound
04-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Also keep in mind just because they leak under pressure doesn't mean they won't seal under vacuume.

Haynes Forest Products
04-21-2010, 12:46 AM
Plus putting pressure to check them could dislodge the O ring then under vacuum it will leak. Check vacuum under vacuum and pressure under:)

KenWP
04-21-2010, 05:58 AM
Under vacuum they would be sucked tight and under pressure they would come loose. Sort of like haveing a tire under vacuum.

Brent
04-21-2010, 09:10 AM
These saddle manifolds don't have an O-ring. Just a flat rubber about 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 with hole in the middle for the inlet and raised rings to act like an O-ring. No chance they could be moved, dislodged or otherwise screwed up.

Another small detail ... I'm losing my hearing. My wife swears it started the day after we got married. So the visible indicator is more valuable to me than trying to hear a hiss.

Amber Gold
04-21-2010, 10:52 AM
I agree with maplehound. They're meant to work under vacuum, not pressure.

Brent
04-21-2010, 11:22 AM
I agree with maplehound. They're meant to work under vacuum, not pressure.

No argument

But under light pressure it sure showed me which ones were not seated well

Squaredeal
04-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Under vacuum they would be sucked tight and under pressure they would come loose. Sort of like haveing a tire under vacuum.

This has been proven to not be true. I was at the CDL open house last spring in St. Lazare and there was a big discussion about this. Especially how the IPL multi-fittings were not made to fit on black mainline and would leak under high vacuum.
You can use a IR thermometer to test for leaks -especially one this small. When there is a leak, the inrushing cold air causes the sap to freeze. By traveling along the mainline scanning with the thermometer you can see where the ice is forming. Try it, you will be amazed what you find out.
Just think, everywhere this is happening, you will get zero sap from above the 'ice dam.'
Manifolds are notorious for developing this problem over time as tiny leaks develop.
There are a few solutions for the leaking multi-fitting problem. I used doubled up 6" wire ties to suck them down -worked like a charm. No more leaks.