PDA

View Full Version : Vac pump info needed

maple flats
04-20-2010, 08:00 PM
I have been offered a vac pump at a real attractive price. Can anyone give me any info on this pump? It is a DeLaval Sterling #23. It has a 3/4 hp 220v motor. I would likely change it to gas if it is good for my operation. Anyone know the CFM and "vac ratings at various RPM's? Will it draw over 20" vac at 10+ CFM? When needed are rebuild kits available? If this appropriate for maple? Any and all help appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

maple flats
04-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Is this pump totally unknown by maplers? Any info will help.

Haynes Forest Products
04-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Settle down lets get a few things stright....vacuum is vacuum so it doesnt matter to the trees who or what is sucking on them:) Now some pumps dont like cold weather or moisture and can be non continious duty so thats what will tell you if its a good fit. Have you tried any web sites.

Russell Lampron
04-30-2010, 05:25 AM
I know about the Delaval 73, 74, and 75 pumps but have never heard of the Sterling 23. With the 3/4hp motor it may be in the 5 or 6 cfm range. That is what my 73 had for a motor and it was rated at 6 cfm. If the Sterling is rated the same it will be good for about 400 taps at 18" of vacuum.

brookledge
05-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Like Russ said with only a 3/4 hp motor it isn't very big. One thing I;d recommend is contact some dairy farmers to find a contact person that sells and services dairy pumps and ask that person. Finding a older person who has been in that line of business for many yrs will probably tell you all you need to know or atleast give you a comparison to another brand that is well know so you can get a feel for what it is capable to do.
Keith

maple flats
05-03-2010, 04:33 PM
If that is it's likely limit I might buy it for the taps around my sugarhouse. There I only have 180 taps but could tap a few reds and several silvers after I add an RO. Might get it up to 300-325 maybe. This is an area I was thinking might noty get vac becaue it is too small for the increased productivity to pay for the investment. A cheap pump might sway that thought, and maybe a cheap releaser too.

Russell Lampron
05-03-2010, 07:25 PM
When I first added vacuum I only put it on 200 taps. I quickly found out that it was worth the expense. It only cost me about $800 for the pump and releaser at the time. The increased sap from those 200 taps paid for the upgrade to vacuum the first season.

maple flats
05-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Deleated by Maple Flats