PDA

View Full Version : leaky buckets

getting started
04-20-2010, 07:59 PM
does anyone use silicone or other adhesive to fix buckets

sapsucker78
04-20-2010, 08:19 PM
I have used JB weld. It is a easy fix and holds up great. You can find it at a hardware store follow directions that come with package. :)

3rdgen.maple
04-20-2010, 09:33 PM
If you decide to use a silicone or jb weld or whatever do yourself a big favor and read the package closely for the toxic crap that is in it. Find one that is safe to use.

Haynes Forest Products
04-21-2010, 12:59 AM
Mighty puddy....just dont snort it...it will kill ya:lol:

Bucket Head
04-24-2010, 09:11 PM
DAP brand caulk/silicone makes a food safe silicone. Its a clear kitchen sink/counter sealant. It says right in the fine print "Safe for food contact when cured and washed". Its what I use on my leakers. I have not seen it at the big box stores. Check your locally owned, mom & pop, True Value, Ace, etc. type stores. I got mine at a local independantly owned building supply.

Steve

DrTimPerkins
04-25-2010, 08:22 AM
DAP brand caulk/silicone makes a food safe silicone.

It is food safe for INCIDENTAL food contact, not for PROLONGED food contact. Therefore where it is used should be a place where sap will only contact it periodically for short periods of time.

There is a difference between Food Grade and Food Safe. Food Grade means you could eat it (although perhaps only in small quantities). Food Safe means that food can come in contact with the material with little risk of contamination. Food Safe materials are rated for either incidental or prolonged exposure.

Many of the paints people find to seal buckets or tanks may be Food Safe for incidental contact only.