PDA

View Full Version : It's on

wanting to get into it
04-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Well, it was a busy weekend. Friday I had 10 ton of stone delivered and Saturday all but one of the post were set. (Had to leave one out to make it easier to swing the chute side to side on the mixer) Sub grade is all done. Stretched a string from side to side to check it about every two feet. Within a 1/4". We called that good enough. We aren't building a clock here!!:lol: Got some bags of cement mixed into the sub grade and tamped the heck out of it with a plate tamper. Must be pretty hard, when I would drop the spud bar it would just bounce. Weather here looks good up until Saturday. If all goes well we will wet down the sub grade Friday morning and pour cement in the afternoon. Have to get to the Amish in the morning to check on all my lumber. It's real sketchy this time of the year with them. Crops come first, which is understandable. I have to start back to work next week anyway. Good thing about that besides $$ is we are only working four days a week since we are working away from home. Unless we get rained out, then we are working on Friday. At any rate should have a good amount of time to get the building done. If I can get the wife to do the mowing!!:lol:

Sugarmaker
04-20-2010, 03:50 PM
wtgii,
Wow sounds like you have a building project under way. What are the dimensions and construction type? Is it going to be a sugar house only?

Chris

wanting to get into it
04-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Yeah, a building project. And I am no builder by any means. It is going to be interesting that is for sure. No, it should work out pretty well as long as it looks as nice in reality as it does in my mind. To answer your questions, it is going to be a 16x16 building with a 10x16 lean to (wood shed). Not elaborate or gigantic I know, but hey we are just starting out and this I feel is a pretty good jump on it. If we feel we need more room in the future the lean to is being built so that we can easily enclose that to make more room. It is going to be post frame construction with pine board and batten siding and a metal roof. And yes, the only purpose of the building will be a sugarhouse. This is almost as fun as making syrup, just watching it all unfold. Alot has happened since the 1st of March, Bought the 2x6, week later found a 300 gal stainless bulk tank for $220.00, fell the trees, hauled them to the Amish, and now the building process is underway. The only part that scares me is when I was at the Amish today he told me his son that runs the mill has been occupied with field work and is getting married on Thurs. and hasn't had time to saw. Next week he says they will be getting at it. The scary part, all that guy is going to be thinking about is.... Well, you know!!!!:)

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-20-2010, 07:07 PM
He'll be extra careful because he won't want to cut anything off:lol:
I have had two Amish hired men who were married while working for me. They took the week before the wedding off to go help the new in laws prepare for the wedding and 2 days after the ceremony and were back at work. Never missed a beat in their responsibility level.

wanting to get into it
04-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Poured the slab today. That part is done now. Back to waiting on the Amish. I want my lumber. Why is it they get in no hurry to get your stuff done, but want what you are giving them right away? I worked out a pretty good deal with the guy, locusts fence posts for the lumber I needed. He has those, plus some ash logs, and a pint of syrup:) Now I want my stuff!!! Get off the girl and get some work done fella.

Dan Bolton
05-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Sound's like you are having the same problem's that we had! We are building a sugar house as well! 16x32 with a 10 foot wide enclosed lean tube so the total dimension's will be 26x32! We had to waite about a month to get our hemlock! We just got it and we are getting after it! We have it all just about milled and the next step will be to pour the slab! We think in the next 3 to 4 week's we will have the slab prepped and poured with the water and electric line burried to it as well as the wall's built and the rafter's on! Good luck on your build!