PDA

View Full Version : What Type Of Stove Pipe

sapbrush
04-19-2010, 07:36 PM
HI, im moveing my half pint into a 20 by 18 shed with a wood floor the shed is abox 15 ft high, what type of stove pipe, doubel wall, trippel wall staineless or galvanized, i beleive the stove takes a 6 inch pipe, stainless is expensive looking for a cheaper way out, i will be going threw the wall and out and up the side of the shed, not enough clearence in the rafters to go straight up, all ideas will be helpfull, and does the stack need a cap

brookledge
04-19-2010, 08:08 PM
You can use single wall pipe. However you need to increase your clearences. When you go through the roof it would be best if you had a roof jack made so that it will be water tight. As for galv. vs. stainless the question I need to ask is how long do you plan on keeping the evaporator? If you are going to keep it for only a few yrs and possibly sell it to get a larger one than go galv. If you are going to keep it for along time then go stainless. Once the stack gets hot and burns off the galv coating, It will begin to rust and especially through out the summer on humid days the steel will pull in the moisture. I used to get about 5-6 yrs on galv base stack and round stack.
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
04-19-2010, 08:10 PM
If you want to do it as cost effective as possible (cheap) I would go with black or Galvenized dont matter. As far as double or tripple wall thats fine if you getting close to combustible materials but its expensive and over kill if you going out a simple shed wall. If you want you can go out the side and use sheet metal as the fire break that will work. If you go out with a 6" pipe all you need is a 24" metal with the hole centerd in it that will give about 9" of clearance. If you want you can wrap the pipe with blanket or fiberglass as added protection in the wall penetration. If you want to keep it simple and cheap wrap the pipe in the wall area with fiberglass and then snap a 10" pipe over it and your good to go. Pipe that has been heated will rust faster as it sits in the weather so forget the cap and remove the pipe every season and store in a dry area and it will last a long time. They make pipe covers for holes HD.

sapbrush
04-23-2010, 09:51 AM
yeh well i dont want to catch the shed on fire, so im still not sure what way to go

stoweski
04-23-2010, 02:51 PM
There is quite a bit of info on this forum on different ideas to run stovepipe. If the stainless pipe is out of your price range (8" double walled cost me a bit over $500 for 3, 3' pieces and a roof kit) then some other ideas include using two galvanized pipes that are different sizes and making your own double walled stack. The only problem is the thickness of the metal may too thin. I've found that stovepipe is thinner than chimney pipe and even chimney pipe comes in different thicknesses.
Search the forum for threads on stovepipe/chimney pipe/ venting, etc. There was even a calculation on how much air space with a double walled pipe cuts down on the distance to combustibles.

Unfortunately I found that my safest option was to go with the stainless double walled stuff from Lowes at 8" and then run stovepipe below it to a 6" to 8" adapter into the 1/2 pint. One reason I did that is so I'd have the 8" to use when I upgrade to a larger evap.