PDA

View Full Version : Hyrometers ?

70 Buick
04-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Just wondering are they all the same?, or are there special ones for syrup production?
I used a thermometer this year but was thinking perhaps a hysdrometer was better
I picked one up at the local wine & beer making store but although it reads well when the stuff has cooled it did not seem to work if I wanted to test it while it was boiling
I filled the tube it gave me with some Birch syrup (it was real hot} & got no reading but it read fine when it was cold. Is this normal or is it the wrong kind of hydrometer?It does have marking for beer & wine all over it

Haynes Forest Products
04-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Get the ones for Maple Syrup they are strictly for maple syrup. Dont get me wrong Im all for trying to buy universal items but not when it comes to syrup. Hell you could even try a hydrometer for Radiators or batteries but they will need a conversion chart:evil: Get the right thing there cheap and work every time. HOT or COLD

Ausable
04-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Just wondering are they all the same?, or are there special ones for syrup production?
I used a thermometer this year but was thinking perhaps a hysdrometer was better
I picked one up at the local wine & beer making store but although it reads well when the stuff has cooled it did not seem to work if I wanted to test it while it was boiling
I filled the tube it gave me with some Birch syrup (it was real hot} & got no reading but it read fine when it was cold. Is this normal or is it the wrong kind of hydrometer?It does have marking for beer & wine all over it

Hi 70 Buick - Yep they are different - mine are out in the Sugar Shack and I can't remember how they are scaled - but - you could find that out quick enough using a search engine. Anyway - when making wine - You would check your sugar in solution in your must prior to starting fermentation - say you are using grapes and you have them all smashed into a must and you check and you have 9 % sugar in solution you would add more sugar to get it up to say about 12% cause that is about all the sugar you can change to alcohol thru fermantation - when the wine is all done fermenting you would use your wine makers hydrometer again and say you have 2% sugar left your wine would be 10% alcohol or 20 proof. Also - this hydrometer would be ok to check the sugar present in your maple sap. However - You need a Syrup Makers Hydrometer for checking your Maple Syrup cause your sugar in solution is so much higher in your finished syrup and the Wine and beer makers hydrometer is scaled to light to measure it - hope this helps -- Mike

70 Buick
04-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Thanks to both of you for replying
I should have asked before buying
I'll look around for the right tools

DrTimPerkins
04-18-2010, 06:39 PM

To accurately measure syrup density, you'll need a calibrated syrup hydrometer (the calibration should be checked annually), a good thermometer, and a temperature compensation chart. It's somewhat easier if you also have a hydrometer cup too.

See http://www.leaderevaporator.com/pdf_files/syrup-hydrometer.pdf or
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/08-003.htm (units in degrees C on this fact sheet) for instructions.

The MapleGuys sell a really nice hydrometer cup with a built-in thermometer (Acc-u-cup) . Works great. Find it here http://www.mapleguys.com/index.php?category=6

TF Maple
04-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Mapleguys hydrometer is also one of the least expensive I could find and it is vermont certified.

Ausable
11-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Being it is the off season and I need a new Syrup Hydrometer - I checked out the Leader Company Web Site and ordered one from them. They got right back with me and I was informed they had none in stock and it would be at least four weeks before they would. I was a bit surprised with this reply from a large sugarin equipment supplier during the "slow" season for a basic item like a syrup hydrometer. Makes me wonder what they would be like to deal with during the busy season. How is Leader to deal with? Should I be patient and just wait - as I have plenty of time before the sap flows. Or - should I look elsewhere..... Mike

Thad Blaisdell
11-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Check the prices at Bascoms.... I would guess the same price. I know they had a bunch a few weeks ago, as my 4 year old was trying to play with them.... OUCH got him out of that area quickly.

MartinP
11-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Check Sugar Bush Supplies in Mason MI. They have always had what I was looking for, and fast shhipping.

Dennis H.
11-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Give the Maple Guys a call

Toll Free at 1-888-MAPLEGY (1-888-627-5349)
Local (603) 487-3292
Cell (603) 801-3158

The Maple Guys (http://www.mapleguys.com)

So far I never had any trouble with ordering from Leader. This last time I even used the internet thing and worked just fine. I got an email back the next day saying the items were shipped.

I can beleive some things will be in short supply different times of the year. They most likely do not make them and I have to imagine that there is only a few companies out there that do so they are probably backed up with orders.

For the past 2 years I have been trying to get a temp syrup testing set. I have always been told that the new years set would not be ready until Feb. That is so funny for me because my season starts in late Jan to early Feb!
I was even told this the one time I went to the NY Maple conference in Verona. So I got a good deal on the prior years set and have used it since.

jcb
11-03-2010, 04:05 AM

Now you will have to start making wine in the off season

whalems
11-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Dr. Tim where would you get a hydrometer calibrated? I have been using the same one for several years but wasn't aware that they needed to be calibrated annually. Thanks for the help. Mike

Ausable
11-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Being it is the off season and I need a new Syrup Hydrometer - I checked out the Leader Company Web Site and ordered one from them. They got right back with me and I was informed they had none in stock and it would be at least four weeks before they would. I was a bit surprised with this reply from a large sugarin equipment supplier during the "slow" season for a basic item like a syrup hydrometer. Makes me wonder what they would be like to deal with during the busy season. How is Leader to deal with? Should I be patient and just wait - as I have plenty of time before the sap flows. Or - should I look elsewhere..... Mike

Well - Yesterday the Leader Co. came through. Received the syrup hydrometer I wanted and in good shape. They do a very good job packing glass items and I would order from them again... Mike

DrTimPerkins
11-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Dr. Tim where would you get a hydrometer calibrated? I have been using the same one for several years but wasn't aware that they needed to be calibrated annually. Thanks for the help. Mike

At least around here the Agency of Agriculture attends the annual Vermont Maple Conferences and checks syrup hydrometer calibration and checks the temporary grading kits to see if they're still OK. Not sure how you'd do it in your case if your Agriculture Agency doesn't do it. Or perhaps your local maple association could find someone to attend the annual meeting to check the calibration. If all else fails, maybe find someone who has just bought another one and check it against theirs.

3% Solution
11-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Hi guys,
The Dept. of Agriculture checks them here also Dr. Tim.
The guy that did mine told me to get a Scientific sugar hydrometer ($26 or so )
Get a long beaker for the hydrometer to float in.
Get some known syrup, pour it into the beaker and compare your hydrometer to the scientific one.
He said that is all they are doing when they check them.
He said a bunch of us could check our own this way.

DrTimPerkins
11-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Hi guys,
The Dept. of Agriculture checks them here also Dr. Tim.
The guy that did mine told me to get a Scientific sugar hydrometer...

I believe the way they (VT Agency Agriculture) do it here is with a calibrated glycerin solution. Syrup can change density if it is too dense and crystalizes over time.

3% Solution
11-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Hi Dr. Tim,
All this guy was doing was comparing one hydrometer to the other.
How's the Dr. doing?

Dave

DrTimPerkins
11-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Hi Dr. Tim,
All this guy was doing was comparing one hydrometer to the other.

Hi Dave,
Yes, that'll work...as long as you're certain that one of the hydrometers is correct.

How's the Dr. doing?

Loving this weather!

3% Solution
11-11-2010, 02:35 PM
We will pay for this!!!!!!