PDA

View Full Version : How Close?

Ethan
04-17-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm getting ready to start building my Oil Fired Evaporator. I posted before but decided to read for a while through the old posts here. I think I have a better understanding of what I want now. But I have a question....

According to my oil burner book my chamber size needs to be 11"(L) X 9"(W) X 13"(H) for 1 GPH. 60 degree nozzle

If the chamber height needs to be 13" then how close would you put the pan to the top of it? Any thoughts on this would be great.

I'm planning on two pans, 12" X 24" and 12" X 36".

ADKMAPLE
04-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Why are you building rather than purchasing one? Just curious?

Haynes Forest Products
04-17-2010, 03:03 PM
The pan is the top of it. I built mine (1) as wide as the pans (2) about 3/4 of the finish pan (3) then high enough to have a wall for the oil gun flame to bounce off of.

Ethan
04-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Hi,

Haynes F P, can you tell me the distance from the center of your nozzle to the pan and your oil GPH. I was thinking about just adding the height needed under the flu pan (mine is just flat) to the chamber height. So if I need 13" target wall and 5" height under the flu pan then 18" is the total height. So if the nozzle need to be 5" from the floor then the pan will be 13" from the center of the nozzle.

ADKMAPLE, I do HVAC work for a living so I have good used oil burners from furnace installations and fire bricks. A friend had a bunch of angle iron and metal and another friend of a friend welds stainless.... :) I also want something small so can make syrup with 40 gallons of sap. With a oil burner I'm hoping to get 7 or 8 gallons per hour evaporation out of a 5 sq.ft. The pans will equalize through a pipe connection but when I get down to a few inches I'll be able to dump the larger pan into the small one and finish. I'll just put water in the back pan at that point. I figure if I start with 40 gallons of sap then I'll end up with just under an inch of syrup in the small pan when I'm done. My goal is 3 to 5 gallons of syrup per season.

Haynes Forest Products
04-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Ethan My combustion chamber is 36" wide and 24" high and 30" deep now if you look at my poto bucket site you will see a side shot of my arch its not the best but it shows the angle of the back of the chamber. If you look at the angle it starts at the 30" mark and the finish pans are 36" I also have about 3-4" of blanket in the bottom of the arch and sides I slope it as it gets to the arch rail (3") Tha pan only sits on 1" of the arch rail.

So the center of the gun is 12" up and down and 18" side to side. Now because of the blanket the space from the bottom of the gun to the bottom of the chamber is less 10" because of the blanket but it works good. I didnt use arch board or brick under the blanket. If I ever build another arch for oil I would not bolt the blanket onto the arch I would hang it on hooks that dont have contact with the flame. All my SS nuts washers and the end of the bolts are gone from the heat and the blanket is like new and still in place :) after 7 years

Ethan
04-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks Haynes FP, I will post an update when I test it out. Ethan