PDA

View Full Version : BlK main line vs Colored

steve J
04-14-2010, 08:07 AM
What little main line I have had has been black 3/4 water line. I see in the catalogs that I can by 3/4 colored lines that would match my laterials. Is the color line easier to work with and or better then using waterline? Also the main line I had before was so short I never had to run it on a wire but now must learn not only what parts I need to do this but hous to do it correctly is there a book out there on this?

mapleack
04-14-2010, 08:48 AM
I personally like blue mainline better, but it's more expensive. Whether its worth the money or not has been debated on here many times before. As far as learning how to install mainline, you can't beat hands on experience. Find an established producer near you that will show you how its done in their woods. You may also find seminars put on by the big maple companies or people like Glen Goodrich, which would be great for someone like you to learn how to properly install tubing systems.

maple man-iac
04-14-2010, 03:55 PM
There is an instruction manual by D.Chepeskie and L.J. Staats, Design, Installation and Maintenance of Plastic Tubing Systems for Sap Collection in Sugar Bushes. Do not be intimidated by tubing as there is nothing to it other then common sense and patience. If you attend one of the tubing seminars be sure to have done as much research as possible before you go, this will help you make sense of what is being presented to you at the seminar. It will also help you to come up with valuable questions to ask the presenter.

steve J
04-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Were does one buy this manual that you listed above?

maple man-iac
04-15-2010, 07:46 AM
Were does one buy this manual that you listed above?

The same place you would buy your sap collection supplies and tools.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Nearly all of my mainline is the Leader 30p and I really like it a lot. It is easy to work with and I like it because you can see thru it and see the sap flowing in it and it stays much cooler vs the black.

Jeff E
04-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Agreed, maple tubing helps sap stay cooler, it has a smoother interior and also is easier to work with (putting in fittings and having them stay).

Black also is affected by warm and cold more, meaning it expands and contracts more than blue line. So keeping a tight mainline that doesnt pull out fittings is easier with blue.

I started a few years ago with a bit of black, mostly blue tubing. I am now replacing all the black with blue. I spent a lot of time maintaining the black, and very little work on the blue.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-16-2010, 07:28 PM
The black likes to snake a lot more than the maple mainline.

markcasper
04-17-2010, 06:26 AM
Please some people please start requesting WHITE mainline in 30-P. I love the tubing, but they will not make any without the dye unless they were to get enough requests for it.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-17-2010, 07:46 AM
I would like to try some in lateral lines but was told last year, they will only produce it for minimun of 100 rolls. I use it in the Lapierre and that is the only thing I purchase for my laterals and love it.

Killington Maple
05-03-2010, 07:14 PM
I've heard that some are using Schedule 40 pipe as mainline in the woods. Even after purchasing glue and connectors, it's alot less money than Black plastic water pipe.

farmall h
05-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Hhmmm, never thought of that. How would it be supported?

Killington Maple
05-04-2010, 04:56 AM
Schedule 40 is tied to wire, just like any outher tubing.

Amber Gold
10-26-2010, 06:58 PM
I have a 700' row of trees between two fields which runs N/S which then turns into a 200' stretch of south facing trees along the field. I'm considering running 900' of 3/4" blue mainline, but it comes at a cost of $0.31/ft. I can get black mainline for $0.13/ft, so the cost would be $310 (two 500' rolls) compared to $117 (two 400' rolls plus a scrap piece). Is the blue mainline worth the additional $200 in this situation? It seems like a pretty steep expense.

I'm considering installing the black mainline and then painting it white. Is this a viable alternative? I can't imagine it'd take much paint.

Brian Ryther
10-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Amber,
I have a similar situation. In years past the main line was black. By the time the sap got to the tank it was always yellow. This year I have purchased white mainline from Lapierre. I hope it works.

DrTimPerkins
10-27-2010, 06:24 AM
I've heard that some are using Schedule 40 pipe as mainline in the woods. Even after purchasing glue and connectors, it's alot less money than Black plastic water pipe.

Most Sch 40 pipe is not food grade (unless rated as such), although it is used by many folks. It has no UV protection in it, so will break down over time unless you paint or cover it in some way.

802maple
10-27-2010, 07:21 AM
I like to use the schedule 22 pvc with a hub, but I only use it for a dryline. 1-1/2 pvc is cheaper than 1 inch black. I have seen it out for 10 plus years now and it hasn't brokedown by the sun

maplwrks
10-27-2010, 07:28 AM
A few years back, I was at Donald Lapierres' sugarbush and they were installing 4" PVC pipe in the woods. It was suspended on 1/4" cable. It was being used for a dry line only. He had a 2" wet line tied to the bottom of it.

Getting back to black vs. colored main line, I fel it is a matter of preference and the depth of ones' pockets. I feel the biggest key is to size the pipe so that your wet line runs a full as possible. Heating will occur when you have a half full pipe, and the air in the pipe, and the pipe itself is allowed to become heated. I have 1 run of 700' across a field that I undersized the wet line so that in a mediocre run, it'll run a full pipe. The theory is that a full pipe will run cooler than 1/2 full pipe.

danno
10-27-2010, 09:15 AM
I have both black and blue. I think it depends on where you are using it as well. All my black runs down a dark, cool ravine - so the sap stays clear and cool coming into the releaser. Later in the season, the sap is cloudy, but I think you are going to get that regardless of the line.

If I was running my mainline where is was going to get alot of sun exposure, I'd go blue.

DrTimPerkins
10-27-2010, 09:43 AM
I have seen it out for 10 plus years now and it hasn't brokedown by the sun

Different PVC pipe has different specs. Some is "sunlight resistant" and will be stamped as such. Regardless, the fact that it is opaque (not clear) and fairly thick means that sun won't eat all the way through it for a very long time. However there will be a fair amount of surface discoloration after even a relatively short time of sun exposure. This doesn't really affect the pressure (vacuum) capacity, but can decrease the impact resistance of sun exposed PVC pipe. This is more likely for smaller diameter and/or thinner-walled pipe.

To prevent any type of sun damage, a water-based (not oil) paint can be used to cover the pipe to protect it from UV rays.

nymapleguy607
10-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Here is another twist to this question. Could you use Black mainline on top of a wet/dry system or would you be better off using colored for both?

maple flats
10-27-2010, 05:30 PM
I prefer blue all of the time because it keeps sap cooler, is easier to work with and I can see sap thru it. Even in darker areas, because most darker areas will be thinned and thus not be so dark in a few years.

maplwrks
10-27-2010, 05:48 PM
As you can see--everyone has their preferences. Is Mapleflats wrong? Absolutely not. Even if I had the $$$ to do it with blue mainline, I would still probably use black for the dry, and blue for the wet. For my 700 tap bushes, I would use a 1" black dry, and a 3/4" wet line. No need to spend the extra $$ to transfer vacuum.

Amber Gold
10-28-2010, 06:14 PM
This is just a wet line picking up about 100 taps...about 70 taps are along the hedgerow so the pipe wouldn't run very full. What about painting the black pipe white, is that a good solution?

I have another mainline I put up that's in the woods a bit, but along the south side. I'm thinking of painting that line as well to keep it cool.

Maplewalnut
10-29-2010, 08:23 AM
I have always shyed away from the manufacturer mainline and went with black pipe for two reasons: price and availablility. I just can't justify having to ship in rolls of mainline. Saying that I picked up a small roll to hook up my RO while at Bascoms a few weeks ago. What a difference. Definitely easier to work with and if it keeps sap that much cooler, great. Not sure I would do the whole woods in it but areas drenched in sun I am definitely planning on conveting over in the coming year if I can plan ahead and purchase during my yearly pilgrimage to maple land.

Mike

vermaple
10-29-2010, 11:44 AM
This is just a wet line picking up about 100 taps...about 70 taps are along the hedgerow so the pipe wouldn't run very full. What about painting the black pipe white, is that a good solution?

I have another mainline I put up that's in the woods a bit, but along the south side. I'm thinking of painting that line as well to keep it cool.

I have painted black plastic pipe for years with good results. Use the cheapest latex paint you can find and wipe it on the pipe with a glove. It will last for several years. You can paint almost as fast as you can walk.

gordon