PDA

View Full Version : Consumer retail price for Commercial grade

red maples
04-14-2010, 06:40 AM
OK Well I have a friend that likes commercial grade syrup and yes he uses it on pancakes and stuff...why I don't know

Anyway he wants to buy some. I sell my "good tasting" grades for $53 a gallon and the usual percentages for the lesser sizes. The biggest size I sell is 1/2 gallons for $32.

Any suggestions for what I should charge. He usually get it from vermont for a discounted price. And there is no way I could charge full price for mersch syrup!!!

What does bascom's pay for commercial syrup vs grades A and B?

markcasper
04-14-2010, 06:45 AM
I sell commercial for $3 a gallon less than A grades.

sapsucker78
04-14-2010, 07:35 PM
I have had a lot of request for grade B the last couple years also. I don't make a lot of grade B so if it still has good flavor (not "buddy" or off flavor) I sell it for the same price. This year I was worried I would not make enough to fill my orders.:D

farmall h
04-14-2010, 08:15 PM
OK

I sell my "good tasting" grades for $53 a gallon and the usual percentages for the lesser sizes. The biggest size I sell is 1/2 gallons for $32.

Any suggestions for what I should charge. He usually get it from vermont for a discounted price. And there is no way I could charge full price for mersch syrup!!!

What does bascom's pay for commercial syrup vs grades A and B?

Vermont has discounted syrup? Sounds as if somebody is over priced in NH.;)

TapHappy
04-14-2010, 10:29 PM
There is one large packer in Wisconsin that I know of - pays the producer $4.40 a gallon less for grade b and commercial than Agrade. Then turns around and sells it for only $1 a gallon difference. Pretty profitable!

3rdgen.maple
04-15-2010, 01:36 AM
There is one large packer in Wisconsin that I know of - pays the producer $4.40 a gallon less for grade b and commercial than Agrade. Then turns around and sells it for only $1 a gallon difference. Pretty profitable!

Sounds pretty much like the norm. That is 44 cents less a pound than grade a. Pretty much think that is about the same as all the packers or close to it.

red maples
04-15-2010, 07:54 AM
thanks for the input guys.

I charge the same for G A and G B, as it is turning out to be what folks want. I think I sold just as much as Grade B as I did Grade A medium and Dark.

but anyway so a deduction of about 9% from a gallon would put me about $48 a gallon for a commercial grade price.

Farmhall do you think my prices are too high? I am right in line with farmers markets around here. and retail stores and specialty stores(health stores and general stores and touristy places) they start at $22 a quart and go as high as $34 a quart Geez!!! last fall I was visiting my sister in northern VT and the butternut store in Johnson (marvin's country store)If I remember right quarts were over $20.

farmall h
04-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Redmaples, I'm not bashing your price$. If you are able to get that price go for it. I don't price according to what the stores are selling for. Stores generally have the syrup on "consignment" and split the profit% with the producer: that is why the price is high. I stopped in at the local Mobil mini-mart today and a Gallon of MA was $52. Try looking at Price Chopper's price...$64 gallon! I sell only to regular customers year after year. $45 gallon..all grades, $24 half, $14 quart(not many quarts though). I do not can grade C. I will give it to someone that stops in @ the sgrhse since they want to use it for baked beans or something like that...'course then they come back later and buy a gallon of the good stuff.:D

red maples
04-15-2010, 06:12 PM
sounds good. yeah I guess it does vary from place to place. and
I know about the % consinment part from stores.

I have been told by my customers that they love the price. I remember one guy from here who sells his stuff in one of local farmers markets around here and he had some woman who alomost fainted because she purchased a gallon of syrup a some country store "that she always gets it from" and paid $80 for it and his was $53. So he even considered raising his prices but I talked him out of it.

I won't be at the farmers market I didn't make enough syrup this maybe next year!!!

KenWP
04-15-2010, 07:15 PM
I sold a guy two liters of syrup tuesday for $12 bucks a peice and he came back Wens. and offered me more money as he figured the price was to cheap. I sold all last years crop at school once people figured it was there and edible. Now to bottle this years crop and get finished with it.