PDA

View Full Version : Can Mainlines Be Installed In The Summer?

Bruce L
04-13-2010, 09:29 PM
I am thinking of replacing some of our older mainlines that tend to spring leaks or break in the middle of the season,and was wondering if anyone had ever installed mainlines in the summmer?I find the mainlines tend to snake between the wire ties sometimes,so if i put up mainline now it should be extremelytaught during the winter and sugaring season,or will fittings get busted from too much contraction?
Thanks,Bruce

KenWP
04-13-2010, 10:19 PM
You can't do tubeing in the summer. Everybody knows it has to be done in the cold and wet and all that. Who ever heard of doing it in nice weather with no gloves or heavy cloths on. Just is not allowed.

caseyssugarshack93
04-13-2010, 11:12 PM
i do it, thats pretty much the only time i have time to run tubing, i run tubing from noe till sugaring season starts again, since time is hard to come by with school and such.

3rdgen.maple
04-14-2010, 12:22 AM
I sure hope so if not Im gonna have alot of tubing myself that will be all messed up. I got to think since most leave it up year round it does not matter. Heck mine will probably be all messed up no matter when I do it.

Haynes Forest Products
04-14-2010, 01:17 AM
I would rather do it in the winter than to put up with the dang Sketters in the summer. One year I did a woods over the 4th of July and I had to ware jeans tape the legs shut and long sleave shirt and hat and respray OFF every 15 min:mad: I would rather do it snow shoes.

red maples
04-14-2010, 06:44 AM
I did mine last summer but the darn bugs were awful!!! I did the wire and mainline but waited til fall to put in laterals when the "skeeters" were gone. We don't have "sketters" in NH:lol:

mapleack
04-14-2010, 07:32 AM
I'm usually too busy in the summer with other work, but it's nicer than freezing! I would reccomend spending the money for stainless fittings, they will hold alot tighter on the pipe when ith contracts in the winter time and keep it from pulling apart.

ennismaple
04-14-2010, 10:46 AM
We've done our mainlines at all times of year. When putting them up in July you don't stretch the mainline much because it will contract in the cold. When putting it up in January you need to really tighten it or it can go snakey on you. October would be a good compromise. No bugs, moderate temps and scout for hunting season at the same time!

red maples
04-14-2010, 01:51 PM
I used the plastic stuff with out a problem held very tight!!! and yes I was gonna say what ennis said about the stretching part.

I'm usually too busy in the summer with other work, but it's nicer than freezing! I would reccomend spending the money for stainless fittings, they will hold alot tighter on the pipe when ith contracts in the winter time and keep it from pulling apart.

maple flats
04-14-2010, 07:37 PM
But if you do it in the summer what do you use the snowshoes for? Seems like it would remove a lot of fun, getting soaked, loosing tools and other things in the snow. It just sound rediculous to loose that fun.

farmall h
04-14-2010, 08:06 PM
But if you do it in the summer what do you use the snowshoes for? Seems like it would remove a lot of fun, getting soaked, loosing tools and other things in the snow. It just sound rediculous to loose that fun.

What about the snot running out and freezing on your sleeve...I would REALLY miss that.:lol:

brookledge
04-14-2010, 09:09 PM
It would also be best if you use as long of a coil as you can get that way you don't need to put in couplings and clamps. Also it is best to use the manifolds that drill into the mainline instead of the type you have to cut into the mainline. The last thing you want is to have a mainline pull apart during sugaring season.
Another trick you can do is to use tie wire on the couplings. After you put the clamps on, tie wire to the back side of the clamps that way the wire will also hold the coupling together
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
04-14-2010, 09:46 PM
I dont like the saddles because the hole over time elongates and leaks.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-15-2010, 08:06 PM
I do all my tubing and mainlines during the summer. I really get a kick out of nearly everyone on here waiting until the worst time of the year to try to put it up when it is the coldest time of the year. Much easier to work with when it is warm, mainline or lateral lines. The only thing I do when it is cold is walk all my lines and make any neccessary repairs before tapping. I usually walk them and make repairs in Sept or Oct too, so this makes it easier when it is cold just before tapping.

brookledge
04-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Haynes
What type of saddles did you try? I use the ones that you drill 31/64" (if I remember correctly) and have 2 ratchet type ties that I squeeze with pliers. I have some atleast 10 yrs old and have never had a single leak. I use hollow nylon core rope to keep tension of of the fitting.
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
04-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Brookledge I dont have a manf. of them they are grey and they have plastic bolts that clamp the bottom peice to the top. You clamp them on to the poly pipe and they have a o ring that is the sealing surface. After clamping you take a coring tool and it fits into the screw fitting and it cuts out a hole in the poly and you done. Screw in the star and your good to go.

Im an old sprinkler guy so I like T fittings that you can clamp the crap out of and if the star starts to flip you can just twist it back up. Yea at times fittings break 1 or 2 every few years and thats life.

farmall h
04-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Brookledge I use the same style saddles..bought them 10 years ago from Leader in Swanton, VT. I like them. I do not drill the hole. I have a jackknife with a triangular blade and slight curve to the bridge of the blade. Old pocket knife my Grand father had..probably heirloom..makes a perfect hole and the leftover material peels off like a curly french fry.:)

red maples
04-17-2010, 07:38 AM
no no no you have to buy one of those fancy hand drills for drilling mainline for 82.50...just kidding

KenWP
04-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Brookledge I use the same style saddles..bought them 10 years ago from Leader in Swanton, VT. I like them. I do not drill the hole. I have a jackknife with a triangular blade and slight curve to the bridge of the blade. Old pocket knife my Grand father had..probably heirloom..makes a perfect hole and the leftover material peels off like a curly french fry.:)

I would bet the blade is called a awl. I have a old knife around here like that also. Has to be as old as Haynes. You have black french fries.

farmall h
04-17-2010, 08:45 AM
Kenwp, I suppose it could be called an awl. Although it is shaped like a blade. I tried the drill method..that sucked! Too rough of a hole. I almost bought one of the hole punch tools...too expensive. Anyway, this blade works slick...wish it had a lock-back to it. Almost lost a finger!

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-17-2010, 08:46 AM
That blade is also refered to as a leather punch. Used to use them to punch new holes in the horse harness to tighten buckles etc.

farmall h
04-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Thompson, I think you hit it on the nail there! My Grand father was 95 when he passed and farmed with horses until they got their 1st tractor in the 60"s. :)