PDA

View Full Version : bottler

maplefarmer
04-11-2010, 11:09 AM
would the alum. pot that is for a turkey fryer work to bottle out of, already has a valve on it ,and apparantly can take the heat for frying temp. or is the aluminum pot not good to use for maple?

Haynes Forest Products
04-11-2010, 11:26 AM
They cook things in them every day so dont worry. Its been bantied around about Aluminum causing problems but I think it was unfounded.They still sell them.

BryanEx
04-11-2010, 05:24 PM
No problem with aluminum as long as you scrub it down before use. Aluminum oxidizes but that becomes less of an issue the more you use it. Oh... and don't boil it dry on a high BTU propane heater because it will melt if you do. :rolleyes:

Ausable
04-11-2010, 06:23 PM
would the alum. pot that is for a turkey fryer work to bottle out of, already has a valve on it ,and apparantly can take the heat for frying temp. or is the aluminum pot not good to use for maple?

One thing with aluminum - wash it out good when you are done for the season - cause the sugar will react with it over a long period of time. I had a very nice aluminum pot along with several stainless ones - and like a dummy - I left a dirty filter in the aluminum pot and set it up on a shelf at the end of a season and cleaned up everything but it. The following year I discovered a nasty hole eaten through the bottom of it - and there sat the dirty filter - niter and all - in the hole. ----- Mike

KenWP
04-11-2010, 07:01 PM
They cook things in them every day so dont worry. Its been bantied around about Aluminum causing problems but I think it was unfounded.They still sell them.

Look at Haynes for a good example of the myth that aluminium will hurt you. On second thought bad example. Better go 3rdgen instead. Darn that don't work either. Guess you have to use me. Just don't cook ruhbarb in it.

3rdgen.maple
04-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Ken Im gonna wait for a better answer from you before I reply. Aww heck I cant wait for you. I used an aluminum pot once. Let syrup sit in it for a few days and after I finished the syrup in it I cleaned it out and and it was very distinctive as to how much syrup was in it cause it oxidized the area that the syrup touched. I vote SS. I junked that pot and stole a nice big SS one from she who must be obeyed.

Haynes Forest Products
04-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Ken I dont think its the aluminum pot that did it it my parents they were inbreads but I ain't:o

Im with 3rd gen SS if all possible. Its time to move up to the really shinny stuff. get the SS Coffee makers on ebay.