PDA

View Full Version : non-taxable fuel for pump?

sapman
04-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question. Does anyone try to get tax money back for the fuel used in a vacuum pump? I know my farmer neighbor has a gasoline tank that he pays full price for the fuel, then files at the end of the year to get the tax portion back. Guess it's handled differently than off-road diesel.
With what I put out for gas this year, it would nice to get a little back, if possible.

Haynes Forest Products
04-09-2010, 07:04 PM
I spent maybe $100.00 on gas for the vac pump so I didnt think it was worth the paper work. Now diesel is a differant animal but thats deducted at the time I get it.

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Sapman,
Do you file farm income tax form? If you do you would be eligible to get the tax back as use in the pump is farm use. There is a form you file with your federal form to get the federal tax back (.184/gallon). It will be either a tax credit or a refund. The NY state tax requires you filing a separate form, along with documentation of how you used the fuel, where you purchased it and what the various taxes were. Go to NY State Department of taxation and finance website and look under forms for farmers gas tax refund. I can't recall the form number right now. The state taxes amount to about .36/gallon so the total is over fifty cents a gallon and it does add up. Hope this helps. If you have an accountant do your taxes they should know all the tax forms etc.
Doug

sapman
04-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Doug, that's great info, really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Tim