PDA

View Full Version : My next Idea for preheater/steam away

Haynes Forest Products
04-08-2010, 05:35 PM
So I have two slightly used 18" X 36" finish pans that I want to use some way hell or high water there getting mounted on the rig. So what Im proposing is punching about 80 Holes yup (20) 1 1/2" in each of the 4 divided section bottoms and installing SS food grade tubes about 12" high in them. I will then mount them with a drip tray under the 36 X 36" section. I will mount the unit over the hottest section of the flue pan with the present steam hood in place without a steam pipe. I will redirect the steam under the pans and thru the tubes. I will build a small steam hood to then carrie the spent steam out thru the normal steam stack. I will control the depth of the sap in the pans with a float box. I plan to install as many tubes as possible so there is more surface for the steam to hit the tubes. I want less sap in the pans for faster heat transfer.

Rhino
04-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Haynes, sounds like a great idea, should preheat the sap real nice. Now all you have to do is inject some air so the sap is splashing on the 12" tubes so that it is running down the sides of the tubes and you have the same concept of our piggy-back. I think the air also aids in breaking the surface tension to let the steam break through. If nothing else like i said it should preheat the sap real good

Haynes Forest Products
04-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Is SS softer than mild steel I have a set of steel punches the elec type for cutting holes for conduit. Buddy said that he can set the pans up in the laser cutter and do all the holes but that 1000 miles away. I dont want to rag a hole in the bottom and end up with holes warping the area next to another hole.