PDA

View Full Version : weather

red maples
04-07-2010, 11:31 AM
OK well I got bit by a black fly yesterday which I never see really see until the end of april to May and its 81 degrees. and I am already getting a hint of green leaves on the red maples...what is going on here!!! it seems quite early doesn't it? I still think its a strange year so far!!! things go in cycles and every year is different but I rarely see trees bud as early and this consistent warm weather this earlyand getting leaves when the buds are usually just finish breaking!!!

The good thing is that the leaves will be on a bit longer to hopefully make more sugar for next year!!! unless we get no sun again and fall comes early like spring did. But then again I thought that of the maple season starting early and that crapped out early too. So go figure you can't really predict what will happen right!!!

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Red maples,
You can always predict the weather, nobody says the prediction will be accurate:lol:

red maples
04-07-2010, 12:51 PM
boy you said it!!!!;)

TF Maple
04-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Seems like everything is going to be happening earlier this year. The whitebass usually don't make spawning runs until sometime in May. I was looking at a web cam in the Wolf River and saw whitebass swimming up river already.

3rdgen.maple
04-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Guys predicting the weather is pretty simple and very very accurate if you follow these rules.
1.If you are planning to tap trees there will be a long warm spell
2.If you plan on cutting wood it is going to be very windy with major wind gust
3.If you plan on planting the garden there is going to be a frost
4.If you plan on going fishing there is going to be thunder, lightning and heavy rains at times
5.If you plan on going to the beach, or have a bbq it is gonna be cold
6.If you are really sick of shoveling or plowing snow there is going to be a northeastern snow storm coming
7.If you end up getting sick and or laid up in bed, or have to go to work the weather is going to absolutely perfect.
8. And the last prediction if it is friday afternoon and you worked all week and you are looking forward to the weekend the weather is going to be the same as numbers 2,3,4,5,6

wnybassman
04-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Starting to get the "green haze" in various woods around the area. Don't usually see that until the last week of April or even the first week of May.

red maples
04-08-2010, 04:43 PM
3rdgen I think you hit the nail on the head. very rarley does the weather work out perfect but when it does its a great thing.

2 years ago we went to disney for winter break. had 2 perfect days 78 - 80 low humidity sunny .... the rest 50's and windy but I still wore shorts!!! the natives had on their winter gear hats gloves big coats!

DrTimPerkins
04-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Guys predicting the weather is pretty simple and very very accurate if you follow these rules.
...snip...

3rdgen. Next time I get a phone call from a reporter at the beginning of sugaring asking how the season is going to end up, I'm going to send them your way. Love the predictions.

3rdgen.maple
04-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Dr. Perkins more than glad to answer the phone call from the reporters. I have to make a point about how accurate my predictions are and give you a perfect example. I had a customer call last night in need of my services and I had previously planned on flyfishing for some steelhead today. It was darn near 80 by noon and beautiful out. I managed to get done by 2. Got home and was on the water by 4. At 4:30 the wind kicked up hard,temps dropped a good 10 degrees and it started raining. Ma Nature hates me.

Acer
04-12-2010, 03:34 AM
looks like decent sap weather this week. too bad the trees have leaves...........

d

Russell Lampron
04-12-2010, 05:32 AM
It's 28 degrees here right now. Supposed to freeze again tonight. Everything's pulled here. Anybody still got taps in up north?

wdchuck
04-12-2010, 05:38 AM
I've still got taps in, but most of the equipment has been put to bed. My trees dont look too promising- those buds are pretty fat!....We have a few folks around here who have some altitude on me, so it'll be interesting to see if they make any more-- I'll post later..........

TF Maple
04-12-2010, 09:08 AM
We had some cold weather on Friday in Wisconsin. I walked to the woods to see if anything ran out of my tap holes. Only had a little down the side of the trees from the tap holes that are 5 weeks old. But the sapsuckers must be passing through the area to their nesting grounds. Had a lot of fresh holes in the trees from them and the sides of the trees were soaked in sap.

red maples
04-12-2010, 05:03 PM
lots of sap suckers here too. 33 degrees this morning...tonight upper 20's

as for 3rd gens predictions. got some galvanized roof for the new chicken coupe yesterday was nice out but breezy don't even try to work with stuff in the wind I said forget it put it in the shed and made up some margaritas and sat my butt on the deck!!!!:)