PDA

View Full Version : pan cleaning

nmerritt
03-24-2005, 10:06 PM
For those who clean their pan mid season, are you completely breaking it down, or simply cleaning the niter in the finishing pans. I got my leavel down a little too low the other day, and had a small dark spot. I plugged the finishing pans, drained into buckets to save then used a scrub brush on a drill to polish a bit. Flushed with hot water and put the sweet sap back in. Any sugestions? Should I have not used a brillow pad?

leader 2x4
100 taps
All Fancy so far

maplehound
03-25-2005, 09:50 AM
When I get a scorched spot on my pans mid seasson, I always scrub them with a ss scatch pad. I do have alll ss and welded pans though. I wouldn't recomend it to someone who has tin pans. Also I save the syrup back till the right before I clean again or the syrup turns dark. That way I ussually come up a grade or two on my color.
Ron

mapleman3
03-26-2005, 09:07 PM
I have cleaned my pans 1 time so far this season, It helped raise it a grade, I do drain front and rear completely ... into 5 gal buckets with filters for the sap pan and into stainless pails with filters for the near syrup. then get the hoes out and run it through as if it was sap, and scrup with ss pad. I did have a couple burn spots from running the level low. the flue pan does get alot of niter and gunk... cleaned that nice too!! that was wednesday, and may do it again next week.

WF MASON
03-27-2005, 04:30 AM
Somewhere there were earlier posts about beware of acid cleaner and that was kicked around pretty good , with bottom line being , acid- four hours maxium time in pans - chased with baking soda,
I've seen some really nice pans scratched to crap with scotch brite pads , if you get a hot spot in the syrup pan and it discolors , its not hurting anything , if the syrup is cooked on or niter is built up I'd use a acid cleaner or vinegar , the acid I'd use weak and quick and get it out.
If you don't care about scratches put the scotch brite or brillo to it. If you want to clean the outside of your pans I've found a couple cleaners you
can use , one first then the other, both food grade , you can get them at your local welding supply store, or they can order them , both made by WALTER , Gold Matrix - degreaser , clean outside of pan first with this , removes all cooked on crap, then use Stainless Shine , over the same area , cleans stainless very well , Stainless Shine is new , its looks like milk in the bottle , they have a Stainless Guard which the Stainless Shine is replacing , same part number. Stainless Guard doesn't work , don't waste your money.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Bill,

Thanks for that great info. I may get some to shine up the outside of my stainless arch with! :D

By the way, do you have any of the pan cleaner for sale you sent me last year?? Great stuff! :D :D

WF MASON
03-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Sorry , I don't have any , I gave some to several people to try , one was a soldered pan and the cleaner discolored it, and I had to replace it, I believe its ok for welded equipment , in limited use or quantity. Seemed very strong.

sweetwoodmaple
03-27-2005, 07:10 PM
Speaking of cleaners, after some other posts here, I tried lemon juice in my syrup pan.

Works like a charm! You do have to keep the concentration up, though. Might get a little expensive if you want to clean more than just the bottom (requires more juice), but is commonly available! :D

Brian

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Brian,

I think I will give lemon juice a try in a few days. How did you clean it?? Did you let it set for a day or two or did you simmer it in the pans??

themapleking
03-27-2005, 07:34 PM
I've been cleaning my syrup pan every day this week before I boil. Been boiling 800-900 a day. It does help keep your syrup lighter than if the niter was coating the pans.
So far I'm up to 135 gals with 90 gals light and 45 med amber.
I did drain my flue pan once and power wash it. I might do it again this week.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Joe,

Are you just cleaning it out with water or are you scrubbing it out??

Glad you are having such a great year. Will be a record for sure for you this year! :D

themapleking
03-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Scrubbing it with a brass brush on a drill the best I can. It's not 100% clean more like 75%

sweetwoodmaple
03-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Brandon,

For cleaning, I just use a quart bottle of lemon juice and as little hot tap water as possible and still cover the bottom of the syrup pan.

If you were doing the flue pan, you would need 2-3 bottles of lemon juice.

Let it sit for an hour or so then lightly scrub and flush with water.

Brian

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-27-2005, 09:26 PM
Brian,

Thanks for the info. Might give it a try with several bottles of lemon juice and let it set for a couple of hours and then simmer it a little.

Might check Sams as I should be able to get it a lot cheaper! :D

Maple Flats
04-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Must need more lemon juice. I put water in the pans and started a small fire to just warm it up, scrubed the pans and drained as far as I dared with a small fire under neath, then put in a qt of lemon juice and let it set about 1/2 hour. brushed again but did not remove much. Then I repeated as before but with 2 gal vinegar, let it set again and then brushed, worked much better but not 100%. I am going to try again with 3 gal vinegar and think it will be ready for final rinse. This is for a 2 x 6 evap. and nothing was black on the bottom, just a little light brown. Would rather not scrub with anything but a med plastic bristle brush, not abrassive. These pans are about 20 yrs old and have no scratches which might tend to create future dark spots. :) :) :D