PDA

View Full Version : Saw Sharpening

Haynes Forest Products
04-06-2010, 01:49 PM
I KNOW I KNOW ...........I thought the guy that has a mobil blade sharpening service would have more than $100.00 invested in equipment. He stopped by when I was out and did 20 blades. He charges $8 for 12" $6 for 10" and under. When I saw the faces they were not even cut all the way looked like he skitterd the cutting wheel over the face leaving some wood build up. To me it was a touch up. I asked the wife if she saw the inside of the truck and she said that he was sitting at a small bench with a small machine the size of a Skill saw. YEA about $75.00 on Ebay. And he was using my elec. outlet:mad: OK OK he was sitting in a lawn chair so make that $120.00 invested:mad: :mad:

3rdgen.maple
04-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Geez Haynes next time send them to me I will only charge you 7 for 12in and 5 for 10 inch. lol Send check in advance. Harbour Freight had a cheap sharpener for under 50 bucks awhile back. Oh i wont use your electricity either.

red maples
04-06-2010, 05:21 PM
I have a guy that does my chain saw chains and it $5 per chain as long as its off the saw and 10 if they have to take it off. most of the time it comes out great this last time oh my. I didn't check it because they are usually good . all sorts of burrs and some teeth are severly burnt and some are cut so far in they are flat or less no round to them at all!!! so I stuck it on the saw anyway to see and man cuts like 30 degree angle and saw dust coming out of it not the usual chips. SO needless to say I have to have a word with himhe must have been cocktailing a bit when he did my chain!!!

Haynes Forest Products
04-06-2010, 05:48 PM
I canceled the check and sent a Email message informing him of that. Now Im off to a real saw guy that I have worked with in the past. He is 30 miles away and will take a week to get them done. I was in need of a sharp blade after the last basement I did in March. Im always sticking the old ones on the bench and getting a new one. Im up to 20 used once blades and thought what the heck I have another job starting Thur so Ill get them like new. Well now Im off to get a new blade till the leally screwed ones are done. I think he ruined my Dado blade:cry: He back cut it so bad that its now has two faces. Its like paying a guy to sharpen your chainsay blades and he goes out in his van WHIPS out a used chainsaw file and cuts the teeth at the wromg angle and doesnt even hit 1/2 the cuttting face.

Fred Henderson
04-06-2010, 06:49 PM
All I can say is if you can not sharpened your own saw chain you should not own one.You sound like a friend of mine. He and his son only cut fire wood and they got 80 chains, and they aslo can not sharpen their own. I got 3 saws and one chain for each.

maple flats
04-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Yea, learn to sharpen your own chainsaw chains. I sharpen by hand (I use a stumpwhich makes it easy) and it takes less than 10 minutes to do my 34" saw. When done it cuts as good as new. As soon as the file doesn't feel like it is cutting, get a new file. If bought by the doz they are about 60-70 cents each. I get about 1-2 sharpenings per file. I actually sharpen both 20" and 34" in the same time (the 34" is full skip chain {half the cutters}, 20" is a cutter every other drive link)
For circular blades I do my own 21" sawmill blade with carbide teeth too but I send small 7"-12" out

Haynes Forest Products
04-06-2010, 07:52 PM
GUYs GUYs Im talking Carbide tiped circular saw blades!!! I dont want to revisit the Chain saw sharpening issue. It takes more than a $75.00 Harbor Fright sharpener to do a Tripple Chip blade. I thought buy saying the blades were 10" and 12" you would know that. Hell if I had a chainsaw with a 10" bar and Chain I would throw it out after it got dull:lol:

farmall h
04-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Haynes, are those blades "food grade"? I was just reading this thread and was wondering what sort of electric chainsaw you were running and how long an extension cord you used.:) :rolleyes: ;)

C.Wilcox
04-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Haynes,

I take it you're talking about tablesaw blades and not chainsaw chains. I too learned the hard way not to go local when it comes to my high quality tablesaw blades. If you have high quality blades/dado sets and don't mind spending a reasonable amount of money for a job extremely well done send them to Dynamic Saw in New York. You won't be disappointed with the results. My blades come back so sharp that I often end up bleeding just from installing them back into my equipment. Plus, you call their phone number and real person answers the phone.

wally
04-06-2010, 08:40 PM
I get about 1-2 sharpenings per file.

really? that's all you get out of a file?

****. i also buy them by the box, but i get more than 2 sharpenings. unless you're sharpening chains that were "rocked".

Jim Schumacher
04-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Shut up Fred
All I can say is if you can not sharpened your own saw chain you should not own one.You sound like a friend of mine. He and his son only cut fire wood and they got 80 chains, and they aslo can not sharpen their own. I got 3 saws and one chain for each.

3rdgen.maple
04-06-2010, 09:35 PM
GUYs GUYs Im talking Carbide tiped circular saw blades!!! I dont want to revisit the Chain saw sharpening issue. It takes more than a $75.00 Harbor Fright sharpener to do a Tripple Chip blade. I thought buy saying the blades were 10" and 12" you would know that. Hell if I had a chainsaw with a 10" bar and Chain I would throw it out after it got dull:lol:

I cannot speak for the others but I knew you were talking about circular saw blades. I was also kidding about the harbour freight sharpener. And just in case Ken is reading He is not throwing out his chainsaws so stay out of his dumpster:lol:

lpakiz
04-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Yah, Fred--SHUT UP!!. We've already been thru this.

KenWP
04-06-2010, 10:30 PM
I am really trying to figure out how the thread got from carbide tipped saw blades to a chain saw. You Yanks confuse me all to hell. I learnt the hard way not to buy 10 inch blades from this guy that travels around here selling chinease ones. It was duller then the one I took off and it had lasted 20 years. Was the best blade I ever owned. I finally found one in Coaticook that cuts hard wood. Never bothered resharpening one as nobody close does it here. I will have to check out Haynes garbage one of these days.

Haynes Forest Products
04-06-2010, 11:20 PM
I still have a sense of humor about the feed back. I didnt want to open up old wounds about the chain saw thread:confused: I have some high quality blades and then some DeWalts that are so so. Buy the time I wear out all of these blades I will be long gone:cry: I went back to a guy that has all the good equipment. I didnt do my homework on this guy and it cost me $25.00 in cancelled check charges and any hassel he trys to pull. I think he new he was getting away with shoddy work. Fred Ill take your calls:)

3rdgen.maple
04-07-2010, 12:42 AM
You know Haynes I wonder how many people think why in the world would we sharpen our circular saw blades when they are cheap to buy and cost about the same to sharpen as it is to go buy a new one from HD or Lowes. I gave up on the cheap blades a long time ago myself and there is no comparison between a top of the line blade compared to the throw aways they sell at the home improvement stores. Like Ken pointed out the cheapies just don't cut it when you get into hard wood. The blades I use also sand the edges as it cuts and man do they give a beautiful cut. They are well worth sharpening and I prefer not to burn through the wood. 25 bucks ain't nothing when you price out a great blade especially 20 of them.. Good call I would say and get them sharpened right. Ken I have to dive in my own dumpster sometimes I never know what she who must be obeyed will throw out next.

Haynes Forest Products
04-07-2010, 08:50 AM
I agree with getting the best. When you have a 100 tooth blade that cost $100.00 and it will come back from the saw shop like new for $24.00 its well worth geting it done right. Now when it comes to the worm drive I buy cheap and throw away aften. Most times its the guys that set the saw down with the gard caught or Im cutting out plates and hitting cement or bolts:mad:

I do have to be carful with the 6+9 year olds they think there throwing STARs so I do see them come out of the trash:lol: Or did Ken drop on when he was dumpster diving.:lol:

red maples
04-07-2010, 09:17 AM
I really want to comment the whole chainsaw thing but I will bite my tongue!!!! OK Fred...this about haynes!!!!

Fred Henderson
04-07-2010, 08:19 PM
I still have a sense of humor about the feed back. I didnt want to open up old wounds about the chain saw thread:confused: I have some high quality blades and then some DeWalts that are so so. Buy the time I wear out all of these blades I will be long gone:cry: I went back to a guy that has all the good equipment. I didnt do my homework on this guy and it cost me $25.00 in cancelled check charges and any hassel he trys to pull. I think he new he was getting away with shoddy work. Fred Ill take your calls:)

My fault, if I had read you post closer I would have realized they were circle saw blades. It takes a good machine to do Carbide saw blade. That tooth angle wants to be right on.
Is everyone happy now?

KenWP
04-07-2010, 08:35 PM
That and if you loose a tooth to braze a new on also. I used to get them done for 24 ich blades and the braniacs got the smart idea to go to this new cheaper place and I had to put on a dull blade to get something cut as the supposed sharp blades were duller. Some place in my tools I have the swedges still for the old saw mill blades. They haven't been used for a long time as I got out of that business.

maple flats
04-07-2010, 08:51 PM
The carbide blades I do are for my eterson swingblade sawmill. The sharpener comes std with the mill. All it is, they use a grinder called a sharpboy, made in Italy and Peterson makes a jig to adapt it to sharpen the carbide teeth right on the mill, indexing on the boss hub. They use a diamond wheel. This Sharpboy is a 12 volt chainsaw sharpener with the std wheel changed out for the diamond wheel. I have sharpened the teeth on the mill for 5 years now. Last year I made a re tipping jig to hold new carbides in place while I braze them whenever a tooth gets chipped. You could very easily make a jig to position the blade to sharpen carbide teeth. After 5 years of sawing I am still on the original diamond wheel but have re toothed my 4 blades a few times each, first hiring it done and since last year I do it myself.