PDA

View Full Version : Draw off thermometer

glfisherman
04-05-2010, 11:05 AM
I am new to this and am in the process of having a 2x3 pan w/dividers fabbed up right now. I want to put one of those thermometers right next to the draw off vavle, on this small of a pan, where would be a good place to have the thermometer nipple welded?

Haynes Forest Products
04-05-2010, 11:42 AM
The draw off will be as close to the corner as possible RIGHT? I would give yourself enough room for the dial face not to interfer with the valve. I have seen some therms. that have 6" faces on them. Mine is 3-1/4 so as close as possible to the valve withing 2" and about 1" up off the bottom

maple flats
04-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Most commercially made evaporators go to the corner and make a hole about 1" or so. Then the weld (or solder) a box on the outside. Then valves are made to draw from the bottom, or you can solder a fitting in the bottom and use an elbow to face out and then the draw off valve. Somehow you want as little lip as possible to get syrup to your draw off. Then put the thermometer fitting as close to the added side box as will work with a thermometer. If you use a dial thermometer measure the face. Most are 3", don't crowd too tight. You could just put the valve in the pan but a side box would work better. This box sets off the side of the arch.