PDA

View Full Version : Limits on the number of sap ladders?

DaveB
04-05-2010, 09:03 AM
After the poor sap production this year I've decided to add vacuum to my operation for 2011. This will allow me to put tubing in sections of my woods that I have not been able to use tubing before, but I'll need to use some sap ladders to make this work. All in all, I'll probably need 3 sap ladders on two different main lines and I'll also need to have a couple of lateral lines lift up in order to maintain a good slope. Those lateral lines will have 5-7 taps on them.

I'm worried about the distance between the pump, the releaser and all the main lines. I'll be running the pump at my sugar house where there is electricity and using an existing tubing line from there down a slight hill to the releaser about 3-400' away. The distance from the releaser to the "end of the line" is probably about another 800'. It's that line that will have the 3 sap ladders.

I'm using 3/4" main line and will have about 250' taps in all. I've attached an image so you guys can see what I'm thinking about. Everything slopes to ladder #2 (and no, I can't put the releaser there for technical reasons).

Any thoughts?

Dave

Haynes Forest Products
04-05-2010, 09:21 AM
DaveB Looks better than my woods. Your bulk tank is at the releaser? I dont see any problems. I would put a vacuum tank at the releaser some call them boosters:) Use a 10' section of heavy PVC with glued on ends and lay it on the ground put a drain on it and its a moisture trap. It will smooth out the vac levels close to the releaser and you can also include a dry line.

What are you going to use for a vacuum pump.

DaveB
04-05-2010, 02:07 PM
I don't have a bulk tank...My thought was to place a mechanical releaser on top of my existing 150 gallon tank. According to what I've read, the vacuum line will connect to the releaser and the main lines coming in from both directions would also connect to the releaser. The booster sounds interesting....how does that connect?

I haven't decided on a vacuum pump yet. Definitely electric (120v) and I'd prefer something on a quiet(er) side. I think oil cooled as I don't have running water at the sugar house. I wish I could buy used, but I think after this year they will sell fast and I won't have the money for the pump till later this year.

Dave

maple flats
04-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Sounds to me like your 150 gal tank IS your bulk tank. 250 taps on a 150 tank will call for much more collecting. Do you have time to collect 2 or 3 times a day? If not you should consider a bigger tank. Less that 1 gal per tap is quite small especially with vacuum.

Haynes Forest Products
04-05-2010, 07:46 PM
First I only included the word Booster only as a way of including everyone. The reserve tank will help maintain the vacuum levels that your pump is capable of making. It is installed inline at the end of the vacuum line from the pump. All you do is 20ft from the releaser you install the tank and then run the rest of the way with the poly line. If the vac line comes into the woods at 36 or 48" when you get within 20ft of the releaser install the tank at a lower level so the moisture will acumulate there. Put a drain in the bottom so you can open every time you shut down and gather. If you install valves at both ends of the tank you can shut it down quick and drain it during the day.