PDA

View Full Version : Which spout?

waysidemaple
04-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Next year id like to have around 150 buckets around the house where its not going to be possible to run tubing. My question is do I go with the 7/16 spout and hang less buckets, becuase it is a bigger tap and will yield more sap, or go with the 5/16 hookless spout and hang maybe an extra bucket, or will the difference between the two not make that much of a difference? Id like to do what is healthiest for the tree and still get as much sap as possible.

Scott

Fred Henderson
04-05-2010, 06:13 AM
There is only a 10% difference in the amount of sap that the two will run. I am slow converting over to all 5/16 hookless Alu. If some one would come out with a good SS I would use them.

brookledge
04-05-2010, 08:09 PM
If you are looking to buy new spouts then I'd go with the 5/16. If you are looking for used then get what ever you can. As Fred said there will only be a small difference in yield. But much less damaging to the tree.
Keith

waysidemaple
04-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the replies. Thats what i was thinking, go with 5/16 aluminum just needed to have some support in buying the new taps(kind of exspensive) but they should last for a long time. i tried the 5/16 aluminum hookless spouts this season and they worked pretty good, had a little trouble with them pulling out of the tree. I can live with 10 percent less sap and a healthier tree!