PDA

View Full Version : Worlds Sweetest Maple Tree!

Ridgeland Farm
04-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Check this out! My buddy tested this tree just the other day over in NY for research! Pretty crazy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NorpEH6vnAc

Haynes Forest Products
04-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Cool video. Now he needs to start grafting that tree and make his millions. Is that a reserch facility?

markct
04-04-2010, 06:28 PM
sure the meter aint acting up? it says right on the front of the meter it goes up to 8.5 percent, so it seems it would be outa range wouldnt it? did the screen fry and move the decimal?

3rdgen.maple
04-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I seen that as well. It says right on it 0 to 8.5 percent. BirchMapleReasearch Hmmmm where have we seen that before

gmcooper
04-04-2010, 06:41 PM
I watched the video. Could very well be 10.8% sugar content. I remember some early research that found some 11% trees for the project in OH I think. That is also one ugly tree that appears to be or has been under stress and some damage in the past. Maples trying to recover tend to have a higher sugar content to ensure survival.
Just my thoughts
Mark

maple sapper
04-04-2010, 07:38 PM
good for this guy having a tree that sweet. Is this just a sugar test or is he actually collecting? That tree wouldnt be tapped by me. It looks to small in diameter.

caseyssugarshack93
04-04-2010, 07:47 PM
it says 0 TO 85.

caseyssugarshack93
04-04-2010, 07:48 PM
here it is,

markct
04-04-2010, 07:58 PM
ahh ok! thanks for freeze framing it i thought it was 8.5 my apologies! still seems hard to believe, but if its true ya got start planting some seeds off it right away!

3rdgen.maple
04-04-2010, 11:36 PM
That sugar content reading was taken in the Colonial Orchard in Lake Placid which is a research facility. They are not your typical maple trees we see in the wild. I guess you could call them hybrids or I think they call the sweet trees. Any of the older trader's might reconize the people in the video. My bad on the 8.5 Nate. Did you go with them?

Haynes Forest Products
04-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Dang I thought it was Cool. Good thing Casey responded before we got a lynch mob rounded up:o

TF Maple
04-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Those are some great trees they have there and I thought the three fenceline trees I had at 6% were good. I have two cousins across the road from me. One of them wants to cut the trees down so his machinery doesn't hit the trees. The other cousin on the other side of the fence owns the trees and wants me to tap them. I was surprised how late it was this year before they started running, with them being outside the sugar bush. But they were worth the wait with the high sugar and some good sap runs when the weather was right.

Ridgeland Farm
04-05-2010, 01:57 PM
haha yes that is an accurate test! and like stated it is a research orchard. Not tapped. and they were doing more research on it. Not sure on the whole story with it but my buddy just got the all the research info on it from past years. (he is in school for this which is why he is testing them) They call them super sweets. and like stated they are small trees. that particular tree they tested was 30 years old. it was also the only tree that tested that high. they had a few 8's and 6's but not many and everything was over 2.

caseyssugarshack93
04-05-2010, 04:28 PM
3rdgenmaple, No i didnt get to go with them i had school =wish i could but the guys after stopped in to check out my operation. they didnt somehow make these trees sweet, they found a sweet tree and then took seedlings and planted the trees you see in the video along time ago, that im aware of, but im not 100% on that.

tuckermtn
04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
wouldn't you know it- thats the Governor in the video- I have the same refrac. which goes from 0 to 85%...give me some of those trees...

abbott
04-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Last year my cousin had a yard tree tapped and brought me the sap. I tested it several times throughout the season and it was always 9-10%. I figure i made 2-3 gallons of syrup off that tap alone. I've seen plenty of open-grown trees between 3 and 4 percent, but nothing like that before.