PDA

View Full Version : Slightly buddy Light Amber for Sugar and Cream?

MillbrookMaple
04-01-2010, 10:17 PM
I made about 5 gallons the last couple of nights and probably around 3 more to pull out of the evaporator tomorrow cleaning up. It is still grading as Light Amber but has a slight aftertaste. A friend that has been making syrup for 40 years said it was good enough to sell and didn't taste any off flavor, but my father, my wife and I could all taste it, but agreed we wouldn't turn away a pile of pancakes with it on them. I was wondering about making maple sugar and cream with it. I would think that the higher sugar content would probably cover this off taste but I wanted to see what everyone else thought. I made some cream from a 1/2 gallon of early syrup that I scorched and had a stronger bitter aftertaste than this and we have happily almost finished all of it. Please share your thoughts. Thanks

3rdgen.maple
04-01-2010, 11:54 PM
I have left syrup with a light buddy taste sit for awhile and for some darn reason the buddy taste seems to go away. Never tried making candy or cream out of it but heck just do up a pint and let your taste testers give you the results.

802maple
04-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Candy or cream will just intensify that flavor.

sweetwoodmaple
04-02-2010, 07:57 AM
You could try maple sugar IF the inverts aren't too high.

Maple nuts or the likes could be a candidate as well.

MillbrookMaple
04-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll try doing a 1/2 gallon to see what we think.