PDA

View Full Version : Custom boiling

morningstarfarm
03-31-2010, 03:35 PM
had an idea for next year and wondered if anyone else out there either has thought of doing or does shared boiling? I was thinking along the lines of bring your sap, I check it for sugar content, calculate how much it should make, and either charge them for boiling/filtering or split it off for a percentage of what is made. Any thoughts? Seems like an interesting idea on expanding volume without the expense and the fact that I'm running out of new maples to tap doesn't hurt....

Bucket Head
03-31-2010, 07:42 PM
I know there are a few large operations out there where one party is responsible for getting the sap to the shack and another party boils it. I don't know how the profit is divided. However you do it, get it in writing! Partnerships are funny sometimes...

I guess you'd have to find someone really interested in this syrup making venture. On such a small scale (2x6 rig), after all was said and done and numbers crunched, the other party might have just been able to go out and buy some syrup cheaper than what you would charge to boil it.

The RO would allow more processing, but what would that do to the "boiling fee"? Your fee would have to factor in overhead, right?

I'm not saying don't do it. Like anything, a good partner makes a big difference. Shop your plan around and see what input you get.

Good luck.
Steve

PerryW
03-31-2010, 10:19 PM
I check it for sugar content, calculate how much it should make, and either charge them for boiling/filtering or split it off for a percentage of what is made.

It's sort of like buying sap but paying for the sap in finished syrup.

I believe the price for 2% sap delivered to the sugarhouse is $0.35 per gallon.

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
04-01-2010, 05:47 AM
One problem I see is some people might bring fresh sap and some might bring several day old sap that would contaminate the fresh. Then the grade drops on all of it.

Bradenfish
04-01-2010, 06:08 AM
I custom boil about 300 taps for my cousin. We check sugar content, gallons. He gets half the syrup and pays for his jugs.

brookledge
04-01-2010, 08:28 PM
If you are going to do all of the work and pay for all the operating expenses then I would recommend buying the sap at the going rate and then instaed of paying in cash, pay in syrup.
Some seam to forget or not realize all of the unseen expenses of operating a sugarhouse like the taxes on the building, insurance, electricity, filtering supplies, hours of sweat cutting wood, etc.
I would be more inclined to offer more if someone was willing to help with some of the work like cutting and splitiing wood or helping you gather sap.
If the person only wants to drop off the sap and go then offer him only the going rate for the sap.
Keith