PDA

View Full Version : side mounted pre heater

maplemark
03-31-2010, 07:24 AM
many years ago I designed a pre heater that was attached to the side of the back pan, inclosed in a box and the steam was directed to it with a sloped hood. I thought it was a clever idea , not having to catch the condensation in the pan , but instead in the pre heater box on the side. It was a simple matter at that point to put a drain in the bottom of that side box and send the steam up a stack .
That was years ago and life got me away from sugaring , but now I'm back at it and was wondering if anyone had come up with the same idea. Pro's and cons would be helpful cuz I'm thinking of doing the same thing again with the new set up.

Haynes Forest Products
03-31-2010, 08:26 AM
I like it! My situation is all the equipment on the side of my rig space is a concern. A hood that has stright sides could hold coils that drain out without the return condensate.

802maple
03-31-2010, 11:08 AM
Yes, GH Grimm company did that for years on their eveporators. I had one on a 5x14 rig that I had. When Leader bought them out they stopped building them that way.

Beans Maple
03-31-2010, 04:27 PM
It works excellent. I had, and still have for sale by the way, a 3.5 x 10 Grimm that was bought in 1986 with that very design. The steam cover is flat topped and the preheater box and coils are all on the side. It allows for the steam hood to be much lower than newer models.

802maple
03-31-2010, 07:58 PM
So Harlan when you going to start working up our way again.